Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > It's Great to Learn 'Cause Knowledge Is Power! > How to...

How to... This is the place where you can share how to do just about anything NOT related to vehicles! Can you repair your lawnmower? Can you install a garbage disposal? Can you make the best spaghetti sauce ever? Can you figure out Windows 7? Can you build a pine derby car? Can you assemble a bicycle? Please share your knowledge!

Old Mon, May 30th, 2022, 10:35 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Oooo That's gonna be a fun one!
Thinking I might get it torn down this week. I've got a bit of off-time scheduled so I'd like to get a look inside.

I picked up an 89 F350 crewcab a few months ago with a "ran-when-parked" 460 that had an incorrectly installed front main and pan seal. Unknown miles but I didn't like all of the sludge and crud in the lower part of the engine when I had the pan off (as in it's a poster-child for the world of poor maintenance practices). Besides, the longer I stare at the EFI 460, the more I think that I don't want a boring 460 that can't handle a different cam or any major performance pieces due to the speed density system...and the best time to do the work is right now with the engine already out.

I'd miss the ease of starting, but low 200s horsepower will suck!
Old Tue, May 31st, 2022, 05:27 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Nothing like having a brand new engine come apart.

Tore down the C8xx head and block engine today. It's a 460. It looks like it never made it through its first oil change. This should demonstrate the importance of correct/large enough ring gaps.

Two of the cylinders will be perfect after a light hone and the rest will just get a crosshatch pattern. There is ZERO ridge. I'll buy a set of new pistons, some gaskets, and probably have it balanced. Then throw it back together and run it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220531_160916.jpg (902.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20220531_160928.jpg (898.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20220531_161030.jpg (734.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20220531_161325.jpg (646.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20220531_161121.jpg (838.1 KB, 3 views)
Old Fri, June 3rd, 2022, 09:48 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I spent some time today getting parts ready for the machine shop. Pistons are on the way along with headers and a cam.

Suppose .017" of ring gap might be not-quite-enough? Like most things I have here, if it was a good runner, it wouldn't be in the shed for my entertainment pleasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220603_101004.jpg (615.4 KB, 2 views)
Old Mon, June 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Pistons and cam on the way.

Did a bunch of math and typing into Desktop Dyno and settled on a cam that will keep the BMEP happy (similar to stock but carry it past 2000 RPM) and make power past 4500 RPM if desired all while losing nothing down low. I also have to keep the torque at bay since the 5-speed input torque rating is already being pushed by the stock 460.

I had to be picky with cam selection as this is a 10.5:1 engine and going "too small" or stock on a cam would really keep my dynamic compression in that 8.9-9.1 range and that's too much for pump gas.

Anyhoo, once the pistons show up it's off to the machine shop and balancer.
Old Tue, June 7th, 2022, 10:01 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I spent some time today getting parts ready for the machine shop. Pistons are on the way along with headers and a cam.

Suppose .017" of ring gap might be not-quite-enough? Like most things I have here, if it was a good runner, it wouldn't be in the shed for my entertainment pleasure.
What did you end up running for Ring End Gap? Normally on a 4.360" bore with factory pistons and rings, I'd use about .025" - 0.028" for compression rings (maybe 0.028" - 0.030" on the 2nd ring) and .018" - 0.020" for oil ring.

For aftermarket stuff I just use whatever they recommend, especially for hypereutectic pistons. The expansion rate on those are slightly different then regular aluminum slugs.

*Technically", some specs only call for 0.004" per bore inch, so in those cases a 0.017" end gap would be considered acceptable. At the end of the day, I'd rather be a tad larger gap than too small. As someone mentioned:

If the gap is too big, only you will know. If the gap is too large, EVERYONE will know!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, June 7th, 2022, 08:19 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
What did you end up running for Ring End Gap? Normally on a 4.360" bore with factory pistons and rings, I'd use about .025" - 0.028" for compression rings (maybe 0.028" - 0.030" on the 2nd ring) and .018" - 0.020" for oil ring.

For aftermarket stuff I just use whatever they recommend, especially for hypereutectic pistons. The expansion rate on those are slightly different then regular aluminum slugs.

*Technically", some specs only call for 0.004" per bore inch, so in those cases a 0.017" end gap would be considered acceptable. At the end of the day, I'd rather be a tad larger gap than too small. As someone mentioned:

If the gap is too big, only you will know. If the gap is too large, EVERYONE will know!

I'll be running .029" due to the 4.442" bore and the formula of .0065"/in. on run of the mill "rebuilder" cast pistons.

Better safe than sorry.
Old Sat, June 18th, 2022, 10:22 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Everything is heading off to the balancer's shop on Monday afternoon. Here's a bit of trivia for you, too. I was a bit worried about what I was going to do about a flywheel. I've seen a few and done one with a 360/390 flywheel and FE starter but don't really want a Frankenstein just in case I ever sell it since it's not fair to the next guy.

Ford didn't put a manual in the F-Series/460 combo until '83-ish and by that time (since '79), all 460s were externally balanced. The harmonic dampers are all the same from '68-'97 so the crank spacers are where the difference lies. No problems there. The early flywheels (429 manual) are not the right size to use with the ZF 5-speed bellhousing so what's a guy to do? Buy the correct '89 460 flywheel and machine the cast-in counterweight off!

I bought a Pioneer flywheel from Scummit and while it is new-in-the-box, somebody must have gotten a little ways into a similar project and returned it...the counterweight had already been milled off.....I would have used a lathe, but hey, it saved a few bucks! I let a Scummit rep know that their returns department needs to be a little more particular since somebody with an ACTUAL '79-later rotating assembly may have gotten it and installed it....then chased a vibration afterward.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2022, 08:52 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Headers are supposed to be here today!

I'll have this thing running this afternoon....fingers crossed! So long as the cam survives break-in, I am SOOOOO excited to hear this thing run. Cam specs are pretty wild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220708_074549.jpg (826.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20220708_074613.jpg (947.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by cleatus12r; Fri, July 8th, 2022 at 09:27 AM.
Old Fri, July 8th, 2022, 12:37 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Headers are supposed to be here today!

I'll have this thing running this afternoon....fingers crossed! So long as the cam survives break-in, I am SOOOOO excited to hear this thing run. Cam specs are pretty wild.
Always irritated me having to put a bellhousing on the engines to start them.

That aside, very exciting! Let us know how it goes.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, July 8th, 2022, 11:18 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

First startup.

https://rumble.com/v1blpnp-breaking-...er-paint..html

After running a while.

https://rumble.com/v1blrxx-after-bre...-quality..html

Last edited by cleatus12r; Fri, July 8th, 2022 at 11:48 PM.