Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Whopper

F-One-Fiddy is on a distinguished road
Engine starting issues after reseting to stock settings

Afternoon all,
I recently ran into a problem with my Edge tuner that I hope some of you advanced guys may be able to shed some light on. I currently have an 05' F150 5.4L FX4 with a CAI and cat back exhaust. After having my edge installed and working as good as canned tunes can work for 8 months, the screen on my edge went blank . I had the edge set for towing mode (to help offset the lean air/fuel mixture until I could save up for a gryphon and custom tunes). Thinking that the cable could be the issue I stopped and parked my truck and began playing around with the cable. The cable will probably need to be replaced, but when I was attempting to reset back to the factory settings the screen would go blank (but still be backlit), change colors, or randomly shut off when I had to turn the key off to let the PCM be reconfigured. After several attempts of returning the tow mode back to the original factory settings mode I was finally able to get everything to reset (or so I thought) . After things had been reprogrammed back to factory I went to start the truck and the engine turned over once...paused and then eventually started. I have since had to start it 7-8 times (driving to/from work) and the same problem persits. My best rookie guess is that some parameters from the factory settings have been changed and are causing this issue with starting.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas going foward?

Im planning on sending my edge to the guys for the gryphon upgrade with custom tunes once they get back from SEMA.

Sorry for the long post, i was trying to paint a picture of the problem at hand.
Thanks for any help......
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well I have never had that one happen, but I do know that Edge has some good customer service and they can probably help you. Plus if your cable is bad then you would go thru edge anyways for a replacement.

But I also think one of the worse things you can do (meaning by stranding the vehicle) is if you think you have a bad cable and continue to try to program. Because if it goes out in mid session I would assume you would need help to get back to running.
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
I know we are pretty advanced here but since it looks like it may be a bad cable or connection and its still an edge evo that's who I'd be calling right now!!!!
Bill could have helped you out but as the notice says they are at SEMA. So to keep from doing anymore possible damage to the pcm programming I would contact Edge right now!
Did I happen to say contact EDGE right now?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Whopper

Once I noticed the display screen had went blank on me (and after reading a former post on here about bad cables) I wanted to immediately switch back to factory settings to keep me from being stuck with a truck programmed by an unresponsive edge.

It looks as if the cable was pinched in the pod and eventually wore through after ~8 months of vibration. I will contact edge tonight to discuss a new cable and other possible causes.

As for the engine...The cranking is the only problem (known as of right now). After the engine starts up, all the gauge needles remain in the pre-ignition position (all on the left side of the gauges in what would be the off position). The needles on all the gauges shake (vibrate slightly is a better description) for about 5-6 seconds after startup, then all come to life and all is fine until I have to restart the truck again. Then the whole procedure starts again.

The truck runs normal, but there is obviously an underlying problem here.
Thanks for the help so far...
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One-Fiddy View Post
Once I noticed the display screen had went blank on me (and after reading a former post on here about bad cables) I wanted to immediately switch back to factory settings to keep me from being stuck with a truck programmed by an unresponsive edge.

It looks as if the cable was pinched in the pod and eventually wore through after ~8 months of vibration. I will contact edge tonight to discuss a new cable and other possible causes.

As for the engine...The cranking is the only problem (known as of right now). After the engine starts up, all the gauge needles remain in the pre-ignition position (all on the left side of the gauges in what would be the off position). The needles on all the gauges shake (vibrate slightly is a better description) for about 5-6 seconds after startup, then all come to life and all is fine until I have to restart the truck again. Then the whole procedure starts again.

The truck runs normal, but there is obviously an underlying problem here.
Thanks for the help so far...
I agree, there's an underlying problem and none of us are smart enough to figure it out! I'd think a corrupted tune would effect more than starting. And, what you describe DOES NOT quite sound like a weak battery, unless the cranking seems slow, does it? If it does, get the battery load tested.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you figure that you can't get immediate help from edge and want your truck to be reliable. I really don't know what edge could do for you besides sending you a new cable and you will have to wait for it. Then edge can work their magic and get your pcm back to a stock tune.
You may have to take it to a dealer or someone that can reflash your pcm to a un corrupted stock tune. This is only if you are having cable problems.

Lars

BTW The past cable problem that happened was for the 1997-2003 f150 models.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
If you figure that you can't get immediate help from edge and want your truck to be reliable. I really don't know what edge could do for you besides sending you a new cable and you will have to wait for it. Then edge can work their magic and get your pcm back to a stock tune.
You may have to take it to a dealer or someone that can reflash your pcm to a un corrupted stock tune. This is only if you are having cable problems.

Lars

BTW The past cable problem that happened was for the 1997-2003 f150 models.
I DO think the "blank screen" could easily be a damaged cable problem Lars, especially if he sees physical damage. I'm sorry he tried to reprogram the PCM through it.

But still, why would a corrupted program only effect starting? I'd actually expect the truck to not start at all if the program is corrupted.

If the engine turns over normally, maybe a PATS key problem? This is part of the program in the PCM, from something I saw recently. F-One-Fiddy, look at this post: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...30&postcount=4 You MAY not be getting all the symptoms talked about here, but, after the key has been in the ON position for a while, take it out and go get a cup of coffee without starting the truck. Then come back and see if anything's improved.

It can't hurt to try this.

- Jack
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Whopper

Jack:
The cranking seems slow at first, but then picks up and starts. Its hard to describe the sound of it, but you know when you try to start a car and the battery is on its last leg...the engine turns over and eventually stops turning over (due to it being dead). This is how mine sounds for about a second. In fact the engine will basically stop turning over, but then will pick up and start.

When I start it I turn the key on and twist it to start the truck. I keep it pinned until the engine starts which is about 5-10 seconds. Like i said though, it almost boggs down at first, then picks up as time goes on until it starts. Its hard to think it would be the battery, but then again I havent checked it.

I will try the key in the on position trick after dinner tonight.

Lars:
I was able to get my truck back to the original factory settings before removing the edge. Before I actually unplugged the edge, the upper right corner that displays the programming level showed zero.

I may try to have my engine reflashed at a dealership if the battery and key trick prove to not help.

Thanks again....
Old Tue, November 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
PHP Groupie

OK, Now it DOES sound to me like a weak battery. They can turn the starter slowly at first, seem to stop at slightly BTDC, then then move it a bit faster as the piston moves past Dead Center, when the ignited mixture helps push the piston. From this point, if the fuel is igniting, it will eventually start.

I suggested this approach in another thread just recently. If you have a multimeter, leave your hood up when you park the truck at night (if you can). Then, in the morning, check the voltage at the battery terminals - without opening any doors or doing anything that would put a "draw" on the battery. If it's below 12.4 V, I'd almost guarantee the battery's bad. Anywhere between 12.4 and 12.7 V is "suspect" (get a load test) and at or above 12.7 V is good.

- Jack
Old Wed, November 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Whopper

Jack,
Tried the PATS key trick last night...no progress from it.

Called Edge this morning (good customer support), tried a few things all of which didn't work. Mentiond to him that the battery may be the issue (due to your thoughts). He said maybe the edge is not getting enough charge to run properly and thats why the screen might be acting up.

I took the truck to Sears to have the battery tested. The results were that the battery held a charge, but not a load. Battery replaced and truck starts fine and gauges operate correctly from the time the truck is turned on. I havent plugged back in the edge yet, but im sure that was the problem. Will do that tonight, but dont see any problems coming from that.

Thanks for helping me solve the problem before shelling out huge bucks at the dealership.

you guys are awsome....

Patrick