Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Not a Whopper

kd4crs is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jack, I went ahead and put together a write up with pictures and emailed it to Bill for him to proof read and post. I concur with Bill regarding the purpose of the holes in the bottom of the stock intake tube being there for water elimination. The nice thing about the DWV intake mod and its variations is that it preserves the noise canceling abilities of the factory intake which is a CAI even in stock form. It just needs the restriction removed.

EDIT to add: See post #71 in this thread for instructions to make the DWV intake mod.

Last edited by kd4crs; Tue, February 10th, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Double Whopper

AgentOrange is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm interested that you removed and capped the resonator inlets. What led you to this approach?
Appearance was the only reason I removed them...I really hated they way they looked. I like the way it opens up the top of engine w/o them.

Believe me, I'm not used to this clean of an engine bay myself...I just bought the truck last October. My previous truck was a lifted '78 Bronco with a 460 last I used to mud all the time. The engine bay in that truck wouldn't come clean, no matter how hard I tried.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4crs View Post
Thanks Jack, I went ahead and put together a write up with pictures and emailed it to Bill for him to proof read and post. I concur with Bill regarding the purpose of the holes in the bottom of the stock intake tube being there for water elimination. The nice thing about the DWV intake mod and its variations is that it preserves the noise canceling abilities of the factory intake which is a CAI even in stock form. It just needs the restriction removed.
In restudying the intake, I'm beginning to warm up to the idea that the holes might be there to drain water. In the case of the 2 rows of three on the bottom of the intake duct, they ARE fairly close to the lowest point on the duct (before it reaches the bellows) and the front row seem to be at the exact bottom of the curvature of the duct. The back row, however is somewhat "uphill" from the bottom of the duct and this seems counterproductive.

There are three resonator chambers. The front large one has a larger hole near, but not at, the lowest point and then another, smaller hole up higher, close to the halfway point. The small rear chamber has a hole at the lowest point. The smaller front chamber has no holes at all. So, the ones with holes could have them for draining water too, but why are they not at the lowest point in the big chamber?

As I said, I'm lukewarm to the holes being drain holes, but why have some of them "uphill"?

On a related note, AgentOrange, I looked through your album at your intake mod. Nice work! However, I'm a little concerned that the intake sitting right behind the tow hook is positioned to really take a big drink of water in the event of driving through a deep puddle or maybe even just heavy rain. I know the tube runs uphill quite a distance from that point, but when the engine is at high rpm, isn't it possible that there could be enough suction to pull water up into the filter box? I like the ram effect idea, but I think if I were going to do this mod, I'd run the secondary duct up high, perhaps just under the headlight. You lose the ram effect here, but the opening would be out of the hot engine compartment.

I like the flexible metal duct into the fender well. Sure looks easier than shaping a rigid ABS tube.

- Jack
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Double Whopper

Jack,
My thoughts exactly if I only had the scoop at the bottom, but I don't think water intake would be a problem because of the second air inlet into the fenderwell. Think of drinking through a straw...If there is a hole in the straw above your favorite beverage, all you suck in is air...path of least resistance.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yep, you're probably right! I suspect there's no way you could create a big enough vacuum to pull water up that distance.

- Jack
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Bacon King

bbbxcursion is on a distinguished road

Looks good! Maybe put some type of soft material along the edge of the hole. I wonder if the intake noise resonates through the truck due to the pipe touching the fender??
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

This thread kicks a$$! Way to go, Gentlemen! Hey, I just realized -- no kidding -- that I'm the only female on here so far!

all for tolerating me! (Okay, so it's not like anyone had a real CHOICE or anything -- guess you didn't have to join, so maybe you did. Anyway, thank you for putting up with my dumb questions. I'm just trying to learn some new stuff!)

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Bacon King

bbbxcursion is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure about the other members.....But someone came to my door and put a gun to my head until I joined. I thought that was the norm for PHP?
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:26 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbxcursion View Post
I'm not sure about the other members.....But someone came to my door and put a gun to my head until I joined. I thought that was the norm for PHP?
Really? I don't remember doing that... All I said was that someone was going to come to your house and replace your Excursion with a 6.2L Suburban. Talk about misleading!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
I wonder if the intake noise resonates through the truck due to the pipe touching the fender??
No noise so far...
I really don't like the way the 90 degree elbow is fastened to the frame either, via zip tie, but it'll have to do until I can firgue something else out. I don't want to drill any holes in the frame and I don't want to lose the tow hook either.

Tags
dwv intake mod