Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, November 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hunted1

Hunted1 is on a distinguished road
Default transmission ?

I got an 08 screw 5.4l 3v auto transmission. Running a gryphon in #1 tow canned. I reset the Tire size and Gears. What is the transmission temp average? high-low end...Also will keeping it in the tow canned tune hurt anything when I start driving cross country to see the kids?

Thanks for any response

Enjoy
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Double Whopper

RevoErick is on a distinguished road

You stated your running canned tune #1 position. If you do not have custom tunes than that is incorrect. Stock canned tunes are as follows: #0 = Stock, #1 = Transmission Only, #2 = Canned Tow and #3 = 93 Performance canned.
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Hunted1

sorry your right I'm using the #1 = Transmission Only
but the ? still stands..
What is the transmission temp average? high-low end...Also will keeping it in the Transmission Only tune hurt anything when I start driving cross country to see the kids?
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

As you can see, I have an 05 SCrew, and I monitor the transmission temp since I frequently tow.

I've found it can be influenced strongly by the ambient air temperature, as well as the load on the powertrain. In general, cruising on the interstate, I see between 150-170 on the TFT. If the outside temperature is above 100, the TFT tends to settle near 170. If I'm climbing a long, 12 mile 7% uphill grade, the TFT can get into the 190s rather quickly during the summer months.

When I've been towing and climbing the long, steep grades in the summer, I've seen the temp go above 220. And, while towing, the average is in the 170s usually.

You WILL NOT hurt your transmission by using any of the tunes. Personally, I'd recommend you try the Level 2 tow tune as a daily driver. When I did that (before I got custom tunes), my fuel economy improved.

There ARE ways you could hurt your transmission though. If you were to change the shift firmness a huge amount (either positive or negative) and then accelerate at WOT all the time, that would not be good. Raising the WOT shift points above 5400 is also not a good idea since the Torque Converter starts to balloon there. Actually, treating your truck like a drag racer whether it's tuned or not is going to be bad for its health.

Cross-country driving is actually very kind to the transmission, since it minimizes transmission "activity".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Hunted1

Thanks Jack
As you can tell.. just a rookie with a Gryphon. The only thing I've changed is the Tires and set the Gears. Love how it runs and just don't want to screw anything up.
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunted1 View Post
Thanks Jack
As you can tell.. just a rookie with a Gryphon. The only thing I've changed is the Tires and set the Gears. Love how it runs and just don't want to screw anything up.
Believe me, I understand. I thought long and hard before I bought an Edge (that I later had converted to a Gryphon). One of the reasons I finally bought it was due to the very intelligent, and helpful posts Bill Cohron was making on another forum (under the screename of ASEMechanic). I finally decided the device was more than "snake oil", and, if not misused, would not hurt my truck.

I've had it on my truck for about 30,000 miles now and feel it has been the best mod I could have made.

- Jack
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hunted1

I bought this one used with 5k on it. Has 20k on it now. Warranty just died and I figured I would extend it. The tow canned you need to run 87 octane though?
I've only used 85 in this since I bought it. Is it OK to use 85 octane with a tow tune or would you recommend 87?
I know stupid ? but the manual says 87 octane. The 87 is cheaper here by like 10 cents. I just don't want to mess anything up. I bet you have heard it all by now.

Thanks for all your answers. I figure that you never learn until you ask or read everything you can on the subject.
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunted1 View Post
I bought this one used with 5k on it. Has 20k on it now. Warranty just died and I figured I would extend it. The tow canned you need to run 87 octane though?
I've only used 85 in this since I bought it. Is it OK to use 85 octane with a tow tune or would you recommend 87?
I know stupid ? but the manual says 87 octane. The 87 is cheaper here by like 10 cents. I just don't want to mess anything up. I bet you have heard it all by now.

Thanks for all your answers. I figure that you never learn until you ask or read everything you can on the subject.
The octane question is a good one. Iowa is not a "high elevation" state I think, so I'm not too enthused about using 85 octane gas, even if it is cheaper. I've used it in Colorado (elevations 6,000+) without any noticeable problems though. The effect of higher altitude is to reduce the tendency of the air/fuel mixture to pre-ignite due to the reduced air density (which reduces absolute compression - the "relative" compression is unchanged, but since the outside air pressure is less, the compressed pressure inside a cylinder is also reduced proportionally).

I know the owner's manual says to use 87 octane - period, but I think high altitudes is one place you can discount that advice. I think though in Iowa, I'd stick with the manual, whether I was using a programmer or not. Every truck is different though. You may be fine with 85 if it works OK on the stock tune. With the Edge/Gryphon, you CAN reduce timing if you detect "pinging", which is the most common problem when running low octane fuel. If you hear pinging, set the timing back by -0.5 and see if it stops. You can adjust in 0.25 degree increments if further adjustment is needed.

- Jack
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Hunted1

Great information..
Want to thank you for the straight forward and fast response

Enjoy
Old Thu, November 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hunted1

Today I did as you suggested and loaded the level 2 tune..the response is faster and handles like a dream.. I can't thank you enough for all the information. So I should be ok as long as it continues drive like this to use the tow tune for highway driving ? If so I'm set until the time comes for a custom tune.

thanks again