Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, April 24th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Whopper Junior

natyh2004 is on a distinguished road
Default Nitrous tune

I plan on running nitrous with a tune. Just wanted to know how much different would performance be when not using nitrous on daily driving.
Compared to a performance tune 93 oct and a performance tune 93 oct with nitrous. How much differnet would those again when not using nitrous.

Mods i have are intake, LT, high flow cats, into 3" y pipe, then rest of exhuast is 2.5" after that. 4.10 gears.

And i would maybe be running a 75 shot. Not sure yet on size.
Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 09:10 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Hardly anyone on the forum has done anything with nitrous....your best bet would be to talk to Bill on the phone......

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, April 26th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Hardly anyone on the forum has done anything with nitrous....your best bet would be to talk to Bill on the phone......
X2, and then it would be nice for you to share your findings with use.
Old Fri, April 27th, 2012, 12:39 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We HIGHLY recommend a separate tune for nitrous as we need to pull a fair amount of timing out to keep things safe and prevent the spark plugs and pistons from melting.

The truck will still be perfectly driveable, but the loss of full throttle timing will effect performance a bit. Otherwise, around town "cruise" will be fine.

Just as an aside, we did a 150 shot on our 2004 F150 at Edge. That thing was a monster!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, April 27th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Defense & Security PM...

Project Pat is on a distinguished road

Well there you have it straight from the Mad Doctor. Now I agree with the others above by saying GO FOR IT!!!
Old Fri, April 27th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Whopper Junior

Omg i got a reply yes! Yes i will be getting a custom tune thats a no brainer.
Right now im just waiting on two custom tunes for the LT and gears i installed. Then i will install and get the nitrous tune ordered.
But my next question is if i get a 75 shot tune is there any way i can adjust the timing my self or with your help to do drop down to 50 or up to a 100. With out having to order another tune.
Im all ready going to have a performance 87 oct and a performance 93 oct. So i want the 3rd to be a performance 93 oct wit nos. But dont want to b limited to the settings for just that one shot.

If i cant what would u recommend on a shot size. I dont want to go any bigger than 100 shot.
Should do some work to trans? Maybe valve body?
Any info would be much help.
Old Fri, April 27th, 2012, 11:12 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

You'd be able to go into the custom options and change the timing curve 2 degrees for each 25 HP of nitrous. The one thing you want to be VERY VERY CAREFUL about is to make sure you do not run lean. These engines DO NOT like running lean and will cook a plug or even a piston in no time at all if you're not careful. Just make sure your fuel jetting is correct for the nitrous jet and you'll be fine.

I don't have any recommendations on what nozzles for what HP shot. It's been so long since we did the NX kit on our F150 that I can't remember what we used. NX or NOS might be able to help you with that.

Good luck!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Sun, April 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Whopper Junior

Thanks!
So for a 50 shot timing is -4, 75 -6, 100 -8?
That seems like alot of retarding. I've read some ppl only doing like 2 degrees on up to 100. Nx even says that no retarding is needed on most "IF" you are runing high enough octane. Which ill just be running 93.
I just want to run nitrous safest best way as possible.

Sorry for so many questions lol.
Old Sun, April 29th, 2012, 09:38 PM

What I meant was more like this...

If we tuned for the 75 shot:

50 HP Shot - +2 Deg.
75 HP Shot - No change
100 HP Shot - -2 Deg.

Something like that. In many cases, a change to timing isn't exactly necessary. However, these 3V engine are pretty particular about excessive timing and will rattle at the slightest chance. It's fortunate that nitrous adds its own fuel which is controllable through jetting. This makes it easy to run just a tad richer and help reduce the possibility of detonation. It may have a slight performance penalty to run a tad rich, but it's certainly better than wiping out a piston from detonation.

(678) 890-1110

Old Sun, April 29th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Whopper Junior

ok cool! Sounds easy enough.
Oh and i have a 4.6 so it's a 2v.
Any difference for that engine?
Thanks again for the replys!