Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road
Default Finally did it! Project truck

After always thinking and debating about it, I finally ventured out and bought a project vehicle. Somehow it's not what I thought I'd buy for a project vehicle, but it was cheap, pretty solid, cheap, still running, cheap, and has a pretty good amount of parts available for it that are not outrageously expensive. It was also cheap.
Okay, so what did I buy, a vintage F150, Mustang, 'Cuda, Trans Am, Chevelle, or Camaro? Nope, I bought a 1986 Chevy S-10 with 4WD.
Since I used to work on them, waaaay back when they were new, and I wanted something that would still fit in my garage and wouldn't bankrupt me in the process of bringing it back to life, it seemed like a good choice. I'd have preferred an old Buick Skylark GranSport I have watched deteriorate in someones yard for the last 8 years, but I don't have enough time, money and knowledge to do that sort of a restoration project.

So, it's a long term project, which means even though it's not going to require major panel replacement, it's likely to take a few years to complete since I don't foresee a financial windfall allowing me to complete it as quickly as I'd like to. Besides, the wife has other ideas for much of my free time and money. Since my garage isn't heated either, the time for actually working is greatly reduced again.

Anyway, are there any of you that are also working on projects, and what are they?

Do any of your wives make comments about your project vehicles? Mine always wants to start doing the Sanford & Son theme when we're in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Relic Day-1J.jpg (59.8 KB, 10 views)

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road

when i get out of school and get things going i want to buy a 2007 fx2 sport like i had(totaled it back in october) and fix it up like i had it and add a couple more things. either that or a 65 shelby GT 500 like the one in "gone in 60 seconds"
Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinoledad View Post
when i get out of school and get things going i want to buy a 2007 fx2 sport like i had(totaled it back in october) and fix it up like i had it and add a couple more things. either that or a 65 shelby GT 500 like the one in "gone in 60 seconds"
If you haven't seen the current pics on my profile page, the FX2 was sort of my inspiration to the exterior mods I have done to my truck; just didn't go far enough and do the grille and wheels.
Given the choice though, I'd go for the GT-500!

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM

yeah that would be my first choice to, but i think it might be just a little bit cheaper to go with the FX2. She was one amazing machine. I really do miss her some times.
Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 10:53 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

FX2's are a sharp truck and would be a nice vehicle in the summertime to have around here. When winter rolls in 4x4 is what's needed where I live.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, January 13th, 2010, 10:57 PM

Yeah you have a point. it was the worse thing to drive in the winter. i did many donuts that i really didnt want to do just thank god i never hit anything. but once you got it on dry blacktop, sit back put it to the floor and hold on because that truck would but you in the back seat.
Old Sun, January 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Baconator

I'm bucking the trend here in western NY. I could count on one hand the number of 2WD trucks you see in a day, and sometimes week. 4X4's were not prevalent until about the late 70's early 80's, and even then you'd see a balance between 2/4 WD.
I've only had one 4WD previously and never had much of an issue getting where I needed to go, even on the days we got 2 feet or more of snow. Throw a little weight in the bed, install better tires if you need them, and feather the gas when you have to.

Closed Thread