Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, March 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Location: Highland, NY in Ulster County (Hudson Valley / Catskills Region)
muns53 is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon vs. Phoenix + guages...

So, the nature of my question comes because there's a bunch of people out there I hear saying analog guages are the way to go, etc. But, I'm not a purist about most things - I usually try to seek the middle path.

My application for a tune is to juice my truck up a bit without doing any long-term damage; increase the mileage (although I will mostly run on veg and not diesel, but still... nice to have the better mileage... less oil to filter); get better on/off ramp and passing power; and just have more fun with my 8000lb toy! I also will tow a 5K-ish trailer (with veg oil on it) from time to time on long trips - and envision towing a family camper at some point (I've got four kids). I also drive up/down hilly terrain all winter to & from skiing and all summer to & from hiking/camping/etc. Also, I get pesky codes in my truck that I would like to read & clear on a regular basis - mostly as a result of opening up the airflow with my intake/exhaust and stomping on it once in a while for fun which sets up a boost alarm.

So, I'm trying to see what's the downside of going with the Gryphon - I'd get my guages and tuner in one package - plus a code reader - plus three power levels and the ability to play with shift points. And I could do it for less money than a Phoenix+guages or other tuner+guages setup.

Do you guys with the Gryphon find the three power settings limiting?

Do I need to put in a boost-fooler? If yes, does that impact my ability to get an accurate boost reading from the Gryphon?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Fri, March 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Let's see if I can help answer your questions...

The biggest downside to the Gryphon is the lack of ability to switch on-the-fly like a chip can. To change levels you'd have to go through a full programming session which takes about 3 minutes. Other than that, the tuning is the same.

I don't find 3 settings limiting outside of the fact that programs like Whisper Mode, High Idle and No Start are unusable with a programmer. I've always found 1 program I liked and just drove on that until the wheels fall off. Other folks may feel differently.

In most applications, you will not need the boost regulator. We handle the correction for that in the tuning. Running the boost regulator will affect the accuracy of the gauge on the programmer since it clamps the output to 24 PSI.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions shortly.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, March 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

I look at it this way. Why settle if you can afford to get the best... Most electronic gauge clusters require a EGT probe that is additional cost. The factory PCM does not have an EGT monitor that's why you have to add it. All the other items are already reported to the PCM by factory sensors and read via the OBDII connection...

as it sounds like you could benefit from switching between multiple programs, I would get the Phoenix or the Free Updates chip coming the end of this month... You can't go wrong with either option...
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Fri, March 13th, 2009, 10:24 PM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Location: Highland, NY in Ulster County (Hudson Valley / Catskills Region)
muns53 is on a distinguished road

Bill,

Thank you very much for the personal reply! I appreciate it.

Southpaw,

Thank you also - and nice-lookin' rig! Our trucks could be cousins - very similar mods...
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Double Whopper

chappy is on a distinguished road

I have an edge I bought used for a good price I use for gauges.I also just ordered a phoenix chip from Bill last week.I have my boost fooler on so as Bill said,It doesn't read the boost properly and I need to buy a mechanical boost gauge.