Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, December 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Go Gators!!

bigsakius is on a distinguished road
Default which tunes on gryphon?

I just recently purchased a gryphon for my 7.3 and was wondering some good tunes are. I am getting 80daily, 100 perform and 40 tow. But I won't tow much with this truck so I was wondering if it was worth getting that or a 120 race tune for fun or a fuel sipper tune for better mpg. can you drive extended period of time in the performance tunes and race tunes? all help is appreciated. thanks
tej
06 330i 3.0 not Turbo (Wife's)
Old Sun, December 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Go Gators!!

also how hard is the 140 extreme tune for my 00 sd. I will only have a intake and maybe a straight piped stock exhaust.
btw i am looking to keep the truck for a while so i want safer tunes for the drivetrain.
Old Sun, December 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsakius View Post
I just recently purchased a gryphon for my 7.3 and was wondering some good tunes are. I am getting 80daily, 100 perform and 40 tow. But I won't tow much with this truck so I was wondering if it was worth getting that or a 120 race tune for fun or a fuel sipper tune for better mpg. can you drive extended period of time in the performance tunes and race tunes? all help is appreciated. thanks
tej
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsakius
also how hard is the 140 extreme tune for my 00 sd. I will only have a intake and maybe a straight piped stock exhaust.
btw i am looking to keep the truck for a while so i want safer tunes for the drivetrain.
They're all "good" tunes .

In all honesty, anything above 100 HP increase is merely going to smoke more on the bottom end when you first stab the go-pedal. Actual horsepower gains are going to be very small if any above that level since there are a lot of variables that limit your maximum horsepower increase....most of which are the stock injectors and the high pressure oil pump.

I typically don't recommend anything above 100 HP just for this reason. It's not likely that you're going to make more power than that without more modifications and any program level higher than that just ends up blackening the rear quarter panel without making more power.

How much in-town driving do you do? That would be my only question regarding whether or not I think you need the Fuel-Sipper calibration since fuel economy programs are not intended to save you anything on a 40 mile long, 75 MPH commute down the interstate. Most fuel economy minded programs merely retain a near-stock shift scheduling procedure with some special timing and injection pressure rates at lower RPM. They're really not much "fun" to drive but help a bit in stop and go sub-50 MPH traffic.

Your best bet is to talk to Bill personally, tell him what kind of driving you do and what you expect. He can set you up with what would suit you best.
Old Sat, December 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Go Gators!!

i use the truck mainly in town. I am thinking about doing 80dd, 100perf and 100 race. Or change the 100 perf for 40tow. I don't know if I would ever use the tow but would the perf and race be that much different
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I can't see a huge disparity between 100 performance and 100 race. I am going to assume that the race program is far more aggressive as far as accelerator pedal feel goes and probably has a much more positive torque converter clutch apply.

It's a good thing you're not worried about Fuel Sipper anymore since Power Hungry no longer offers that tune.

I would probably put in a tow tune such as 40 tow (as you indicated) just in case you ever do decide to tow anything.
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Go Gators!!

thanks Cody, ya I think I will stick with the 40tow and 100 race. Although I have to figure out first why I am only boosting 10lbs on stock setting. Also do you know if pegasus will run on windows 7
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I couldn't tell you about Windows 7. I assume it works on the same basis as Vista.

As far as your boost issue goes.......

You either have a dirty air filter or a restriction to the compressor inlet.....
OR
you have a boost leak somewhere between the turbo compressor outlet and the intake manifolds.......
OR
you have a hole in your boost line to your gauge......
OR
you have a turbine drive pressure leak in your exhaust system between the exhaust manifolds and turbine inlet......

My educated guess is that you are either losing boost through a loose intercooler pipe boot or drive pressure at the turbine inlet junction where the exhaust pipes run up the back side of the engine. Both of these are very common issues.

Spotting an exhaust leak is very easy. Use a flash light to look up behind the engine towards the back of the turbocharger. You'll see witness marks (soot) where the exhaust pipes merge into the "y" of the turbine inlet. The driver's side is a lot easier to see than the passenger side but it can be done.

For the intake side, use a deep-well 11mm or 7/16" socket and some long extensions to tighten the four clamps on the intercooler pipe boots at the intercooler junctions and lose the extensions to do the four clamps at the compressor outlet and intake "y".

Use an 8mm or 5/16" socket to tighten all four clamps on the orange boots at the intake manifolds below the intake "y".

Let us know how it goes.
Old Mon, December 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Go Gators!!

well i did a quick troubleshooting to see if I would get more boost by unplugging the red wire that attaches to the wastegate. I still have not run her too hard due to the feet of snow we have all over the place but a quick stabb on the accelorator and I was able to reach 15lbs of boost. I am not sure where to look from here but I guess there maybe a leak somewhere. Before I bought the truck there was a new turbo installed so I wonder if they put that on correctly? I also scanned the truck with the gryphon and 4 codes did pop up although no check engine light. I will go read those in a little bit.
Thanks for the help btw
Old Mon, December 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Go Gators!!

ok here are the codes I got,

P0232, P0603, P0478, and P0470.

I know the 0603 is due to the tuner, and the last two are with the exhaust pressure sensor. I am wondering if that could be the reason for the low boost and bad mpg. Or could it be the fuel pump. Truck seems to run fine to me though hmm
Old Mon, December 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

P0470- Exhaust backpressure circuit malfunction
Open or shorted wiring/sensor.

P0478- Exhaust backpressure too high under normal driving conditions.
Stuck shut or partially shut exhaust backpressure valve or shorted EBP sensor.

P0232- Fuel pump relay driver failed off.
Voltage detected on fuel pump monitor circuit when pump was commanded off.