Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Whopper Junior

Stroked14021 is on a distinguished road
Default New to forums and want help with my tunes

Love my Gryphon still have some issues with shifting and fuel mileage

Please help
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Glad you decided to join us.

Can you be just a wee bit more specific? What issues in shifting? What are you expecting in fuel mileage that you aren't getting? Are you using custom or canned tunes? What year/engine is your truck? What gas are you using? Have you set any "Custom Options"?

In other words, you've got to help us help you.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Whopper Junior

Its 01 F350 7.3 just shifts way to hard it will break the tires loose into second gear and as for my fuel im only getting arround 475 for a 46 gallon tank in eco tune it gets alittle better in race but not much
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, I'm going to see if I can't move this thread to the 7.3 forum. There's people there that may be able to help.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Whopper Junior

im running custom tunes
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
PHP Groupie

And, you'll notice now that you're in the correct forum. Probably Cody will get with you soon.

- Jack
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Geoff, if Bill doesn't get ahold of you first, give him a shout tomorrow. We're closing the office at 4:30 so that he can get packed for his trip.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked14021 View Post
Its 01 F350 7.3 just shifts way to hard it will break the tires loose into second gear and as for my fuel im only getting arround 475 for a 46 gallon tank in eco tune it gets alittle better in race but not much

I don't know if it's my place to say, but I have noticed that most all "custom" tunes shift ridiculously hard for no reason. It's an easy fix to make them normal again. However, for some reason, most tuners go crazy with the shift firmness.

On a side note, the 4R100 transmission is most vulnerable during the 1-2 shift because of what's going on inside the transmission. The intermediate sprag is pretty fragile and doesn't live long with high torque upshifts.

I would ask Bill to set the torque tables, minimum TV , TV during the shifts, desired shift duration and torque reduction during shifts back to near stock levels for the daily driving tunes to make them acceptable. The hard shifts are fine for most people, but they're not for everyone. This is the reason most tuners command a firm shift. They know that a longer "burn time" of the clutches and the band is a bad thing. The more power you put into the transmission, the firmer the shifts should be to reduce the slippage. As long as you're not pushing the truck with the added power, a near-stock shift strategy works just fine and won't hurt the transmission. If you're after the best economy possible, then you're probably not driving like a wild man anyway, right?

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
Geoff, if Bill doesn't get ahold of you first, give him a shout tomorrow. We're closing the office at 4:30 so that he can get packed for his trip.
Sounds good Any people back out of the live tuning Here in WA