Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road
Default Unit Issue or Just a Bad Day????

Yesterday when I was adjusting the background lighting on the Gryphon, I noticed that everything is going to zero's when I press the up or down button. A short time later, I stopped at a local store and when I came back out and fired my truck up, the unit read zero for RMP.

I've checked my connections and they seem solid. Do you think I've got a hardware issue?

I really don't want to return to my stock tuning, it makes the truck feel like such a slug. Granted I'm only on the canned level 2 and can't wait for my customs, but need any more challenges with my truck. My plug change, then smell of a gas leak (none found) has been enough.

Thanks
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Sex alleviates tension

average-joe is on a distinguished road

Ive had some issues with the display also,oneday everything on the screen was really faded like the contrast was turned up high or low.I have now set it to my liking and keeping an eye out for changes,no big deal tho.

Have you checked the connection ports on both ends?,they can work lose and effect the unit.

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Did you mean zero for RPMs? I notice you live pretty far north - what's the temperature up there? And, how's your battery/charging circuit? (You can monitor battery voltage on the Gryphon - it usually reads above 14.0 volts if things are ok). The Gryphon is known to exhibit display problems under conditions of low temperature and low battery voltage. If you have the two in combination, it's a double whammy.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Bacon King

Our weather has been super nice lately. I noticed this odd occurance when the temp was about 60 give or take a few degrees. I'll check battery voltage, but I'm not expecting any issues there. I bought a large capacity battery back in November and just replaced my serpentine belt. The old battery wasn't too great add the plow and I had an unreliable system.

Yes, the built in tach on my Gryphon read 0. Surprised me. I shut the truck off. Opened the door, to kill the delayed power and started it back up. It worked fine, except for the display going to 0 when I was adjusting brightness.

My luck with things hasn't been great lately, so maybe it's just a bad day. Today I didn't notice anything funky, but I also didn't make any sort of adjustments.

Thanks for your ideas.

By the way it was 88 today. Too warm for my early spring blood.
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2205 View Post
Our weather has been super nice lately. I noticed this odd occurance when the temp was about 60 give or take a few degrees. I'll check battery voltage, but I'm not expecting any issues there. I bought a large capacity battery back in November and just replaced my serpentine belt. The old battery wasn't too great add the plow and I had an unreliable system.

Yes, the built in tach on my Gryphon read 0. Surprised me. I shut the truck off. Opened the door, to kill the delayed power and started it back up. It worked fine, except for the display going to 0 when I was adjusting brightness.

My luck with things hasn't been great lately, so maybe it's just a bad day. Today I didn't notice anything funky, but I also didn't make any sort of adjustments.

Thanks for your ideas.

By the way it was 88 today. Too warm for my early spring blood.
Well, temperature certainly was not the problem. If you continue to get this problem, display the battery voltage too. I still think that could be an issue. But, if the voltage is good, then it sounds like there's a problem, possibly in the OBDII cable? It would almost have to be in the data feed circuit if everything else checks out and your Gryphon is receiving power.

- Jack
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Like I posted in the other thread about this, I have had mine freeze up on me before...RPM, Trans temp, and volt's all ready zero, scared the crap out of me at first to see it say 0 for rpms, but I just shut the truck off and it went away and hasn't came back.
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

When adjusting the brightness on the LCD display, the process that handles reading the PCM is momentarily interrupted causing some or all of the displays to read 0 (zero). This is normal, but should resume monitoring functions after the buttons are done being pressed. If not, either a key off/key on or unplugging and reconnecting should fix the problem.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
When adjusting the brightness on the LCD display, the process that handles reading the PCM is momentarily interrupted causing some or all of the displays to read 0 (zero). This is normal, but should resume monitoring functions after the buttons are done being pressed. If not, either a key off/key on or unplugging and reconnecting should fix the problem.

Take care.
Thanks, Bill - another one for my troubleshooting file.

Hope your trip is going smoothly!

- Jack
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Bacon King

So many things to learn with these little devices. And I have yet to try anything other then select the level 2 program.

Gents, thanks for the feedback. I hopefully I wont have too many other foolish questions.

Thanks