Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Bill! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Everything's totally clear now (I hope). I've been going into the Custom Options menu every time I've loaded a new tune (switching from Tow to Economy to Stock, depending on need) and now I see my confusion. In the Custom Options menu, the GR and TS information is obtained from the Calibration section and it may be bogus (unless a valid set of numbers had been written there before, and you Load Previous Settings?).

So, whenever changing tunes, Mark. Simply enter the level you want and skip the Custom Options part. Let the PCM accept the new tune. Then, if you need to verify or change anything, go back, reload the same level, enter the Custom Options menu and in it, first thing, Load Previous Settings. Then, change or verify anything you would like to customize your tune, recognizing that for each value you even look at, programming is going to take longer.

Did I get it right, finally, Bill?

The problem is not in your explanation sir, the problem is in the explanation or lack of same in the Edge manual (but I know it's a tricky concept).

- Jack
Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Okay.....I'm gonna try and make this as simple as possible for myself because now I am slightly second guessing what I should be doing!

Bill: My custom tunes were built without me specifying any change from the stock TS/GR!
My truck has 3:73's and stock 275/65 18's.........do you recommend I touch the TS/GR settings or not?
Currently I have my snow tires on and they are 265/70 18's.......again, should I just leave the settings alone?

I have tried playing around with many custom settings but I always keep coming back to your custom tune because it feels like it works the absolute best in every area........the only thing I tweek is the standard driving 1-2 shift and 2-1 shift. I drop it 1 because I want it to be slightly less aggressive when gently taking off from a dead stop!
Custom tunes
Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road

Someone may have to help me a little here...so when I went to 87 tow (truck currently in 87 tow) and selected yes on custom tunes, I then went down to load previous settings. When I scroll through to check the settings, all of the shift point speeds are at 0??? Also, the tire size reads 2356 which is way off for 275/55-20 tires. Oddly enough, my speed is accurate with the GPS. If I put in the circumference of tires with 5% squish, my speed is about 2mph faster than GPS at 55mph.

Is there a way to see current settings loaded on the unit with 87 tow mode? I can't seem to get the "load previous settings" to load anything for me to view.

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking to myself "My truck runs great; I can't wait for my custom tunes; Why am I tinkering with this?" Oh well, guess it's part of my figure-it-out nature. Don't anyone lose any sleep or family time over this. I guess we're just tinkering around.

Merry Christmas
Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
Bill: My custom tunes were built without me specifying any change from the stock TS/GR!
My truck has 3:73's and stock 275/65 18's.........do you recommend I touch the TS/GR settings or not?
Currently I have my snow tires on and they are 265/70 18's.......again, should I just leave the settings alone?
275/65-18 = 2503mm
265/70-18 = 2543mm

Difference = 1.5% or about 1 MPH at 60 MPH. It's up to you, but if you want the speedo to be dead accurate then you should change it.

When running the stock tires, leave the TS/GR alone.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_123 View Post
...selected yes on custom tunes, I then went down to load previous settings. When I scroll through to check the settings, all of the shift point speeds are at 0??? Also, the tire size reads 2356 which is way off for 275/55-20 tires. Oddly enough, my speed is accurate with the GPS. If I put in the circumference of tires with 5% squish, my speed is about 2mph faster than GPS at 55mph.

Is there a way to see current settings loaded on the unit with 87 tow mode? I can't seem to get the "load previous settings" to load anything for me to view.
Load Previous Settings is used to load the last custom settings you made. This is so when you change levels you don't have to go back through and re-enter every change you made. If you haven't made any changes to begin with, there's nothing to reload.

As I've mentioned before, the default tire size and gear ratio that is displayed in the custom options HAS NO RELATION TO THE ACTUAL TIRES ON THE TRUCK. They are some made up, arbitrary number. You have to put in the correct size for your your tires and you must also put in the correct gear ratio.

Squish is a relative term used to describe the phenomena that occurs where the tire patch contacts the road. Tire inflation, tread compound, tread pattern and aspect ratio (sidewall height) all have an effect on squish.

For a 55 series tires, I would use a 3% squish value since the deflection of the sidewall is going to be considerably reduced compared to say, a 75 series tire. For the size you specified, you should be around 2517mm.

Take care and Merry Christmas!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Wed, December 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Load Previous Settings is used to load the last custom settings you made. This is so when you change levels you don't have to go back through and re-enter every change you made. If you haven't made any changes to begin with, there's nothing to reload.

As I've mentioned before, the default tire size and gear ratio that is displayed in the custom options HAS NO RELATION TO THE ACTUAL TIRES ON THE TRUCK. They are some made up, arbitrary number. You have to put in the correct size for your your tires and you must also put in the correct gear ratio.

Squish is a relative term used to describe the phenomena that occurs where the tire patch contacts the road. Tire inflation, tread compound, tread pattern and aspect ratio (sidewall height) all have an effect on squish.

For a 55 series tires, I would use a 3% squish value since the deflection of the sidewall is going to be considerably reduced compared to say, a 75 series tire. For the size you specified, you should be around 2517mm.

Take care and Merry Christmas!

At the risk of I'd like to mention that the tire circumference adjusted for "squish" is just a "ballpark" starting point. I had to make several changes to mine to get the speed (shown on the Gryphon) and the dash odometer to read correctly. With my 275/65-18 Goodyear Silent Armor tires, at the recommended 40 PSI, I use a value that is equivalent to 7% squish in the Gear Calculator application. And, the truck's dashboard speedometer reads 2 MPH fast at 75 MPH, but the odometer is accurate.

Merry Christmas everyone. We just got back from one of our Granddaughter's birthday day. She was born on Christmas Eve!

- Jack
Old Thu, December 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road

You know what's weird, Jack, is that my Gryphon and Speedometer read exactly the same. I've read all of these other posts where there is a few MPH difference, but mine are identical. Oh well, maybe my truck was built on a Monday or a Friday.

Merry Christmas

Last edited by Mark_123; Fri, December 26th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old Thu, December 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
You know what's weird, Jack, is the my Gryphon and Speedometer read exactly the same. I've read all of these other posts where there is a few MPH difference, but mine are identical. Oh well, maybe my truck was built on a Monday or a Friday.

Merry Christmas
Don't you just love computers? Just when you think you understand them!

Merry Christmas to you too. The last of our guests left a short time ago and I'm catching up here.

- Jack
Old Sun, April 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Mini Me

BluByu1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Someone may have to help me a little here...so when I went to 87 tow (truck currently in 87 tow) and selected yes on custom tunes, I then went down to load previous settings. When I scroll through to check the settings, all of the shift point speeds are at 0???

I'm curious about this as well. I've just received my Gryphon in the Mail on Friday and I've been looking at all of the options on it. I've noticed these same numbers on multiple choices.

I don't have a problem with the TS/GS aspect and my number that I've entered has stayed in the program. I've only used the 87 Custom Tow so far.

Now.... When I FIRST plugged the Gryphon into the truck, I did select YES to Custom Program as I new I needed to change the TS in my truck (305/65-18's). As I read earlier in this Thread, it said I should have loaded the program as is and say NO to custom programing and then go back in and make my changes later. I hope I didn't screw up the new CUSTOM program from Bill. If so, do I have to get Bill so resend his CUSTOM program back to me that has all of his settings that he entered?????? Confused......

On the learning curve here, Thanks for any help given.......

Cheers,

Jamie
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM

Jamie,

Selecting the custom options the first time through generally isn't a bad thing. It just means that the values that come up in the custom options may not directly relate to the any of the actual values in the program itself.

The reason for this is because we don't actually read the PCM until AFTER you've gone through the custom options menus. What ends up happening is that a preset "default" value is used instead of the actual values from the calibration.

This is an area of confusion for many folks, but rest assured it does not affect your custom files at all. Just go through another session and you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps.

(678) 890-1110