Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Whopper

Brandon_oma#692 is on a distinguished road

Even after the chip is installed some pcm's work better than others? ie pmt-1 pmt-2 are better than xxx-x. I am unsure what my code is I will look tonight.

How much of a difference doesit make? Can my xxx-x be turned in to a pmt-1 or 2? Or is a swap required? Where to purchase, average price, worth the cost?
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

It depends on the year of your truck, man.

Get the code and we'll let you know what's available!
Old Sat, August 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Whopper Junior

kord is on a distinguished road

I'm looking into buying the Minotaur package and possibly an extra chip for my dads truck and from what I've read it sounds like I'd have to buy other files to tune his truck because we have different PCM codes. His code is XLE-4 and mine is NVK-4 is there any way I could get away with using just one set of files and still tuning both trucks? Thanks for the help
Old Sat, August 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kord View Post
I'm looking into buying the Minotaur package and possibly an extra chip for my dads truck and from what I've read it sounds like I'd have to buy other files to tune his truck because we have different PCM codes. His code is XLE-4 and mine is NVK-4 is there any way I could get away with using just one set of files and still tuning both trucks? Thanks for the help

NVK4 "officially" uses a VNAA8 definition while the XLE4 uses the VHAE9 definition. Trying to use either one of these files with the "wrong" definition will not work. Some things "line up" in the parameters, maps, and functions but most do not and it would be impossible to tune.

The right thing to do would be to buy both definitions and get the base files for each truck. However, with the expense of purchasing both, it might not be financially feasible to do. Besides unless he absolutely HAS to live with his XLE4, it's not worth trying to tune it to do anything worthwhile.

What I would do in your case would be to upgrade his truck to a DPC-422 PCM (his is a DPC-402 now) and both of you could run any tuning you wanted to; be it both NVK4, PMT1, or whatever you wish since they'd be in the same family.
Old Sat, August 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the quick reply cleatus12r, thats what I was figuring would be the outcome. So what would it cost to upgrade him to a DPC-422 I haven't really seen these for sale and where is the best place to find one? Would it be a pull his old PCM out and just plug the new one in kind of deal or would there be more involved in a changing of the PCM's to get everything to work out? Thanks for the help.
Old Sat, August 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kord View Post
Thanks for the quick reply cleatus12r, thats what I was figuring would be the outcome. So what would it cost to upgrade him to a DPC-422 I haven't really seen these for sale and where is the best place to find one?
Checking classifieds on diesel truck websites or wrecking yards. I have purchased 5 used ones in the last 2 months and have not paid more than $100 for any of them. They are available from NAPA and Carquest/O'Reilly/Bumper to Bumper but they'll run nearly $200 before the core charge (which I don't think they'll care if you give them an XLE4 for a core because they don't know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kord
Would it be a pull his old PCM out and just plug the new one in kind of deal or would there be more involved in a changing of the PCM's to get everything to work out? Thanks for the help.
It's a plug and play deal when going from a DPC-402 to a 422. It's just not as easy to go the other way since the BARO sensor input on the older truck is external for the XLE4; it'll shift weird/hard and have a check engine light. You won't have any problems with a DPC-422 swap into your dad's truck.
Old Sun, August 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Whopper Junior

Cool I'll start looking at the .org and nation websites to see if anyone has one for sale. Thanks for the help again I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions of you guys once I get the chips and start playing with them.