Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions

Hey, I've been looking at the Minotaur custom tuning software. My truck is a '95 F-250 with 7.3l PSD. Pretty mild, downpipe, exhaust, and borrowing my brothers Edge Evolution. I'm looking for a tuner, and I REALLY like the idea of doing the tunes myself instead of shipping the tuner to get reprogrammed. Let's just say I was to put in Stage I injectors and guages, do you think I could reprogram the tuner myself without too much experience with the program? Another thing is we have 4 PSD's between myself, my dad, and my brother. A '95, '00, '02, and another '02. So there's some real potential that I'd get a lot of use from having the tuning software. Any package deals for the software package and 4 or five chips? Is the RDT file for Powerstrokes cover from '94-'03 or is there two separate files for '94-'97 and '99-'03? Thanks a lot! Thomas H.
Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

Well, I'm pretty sure that the other three trucks will require different RDT files, as they come with split shot injectors instead of singles.
You can buy blank chips for $200, or $175 for 5+
If you're automotively inclined, you should be able to tune for stage 1's with the manual, some reading and perhaps bill's help.
I may not be 100% correct, but I sure think I am.
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Here are a few things to look into. I don't know where you're from, but as far as federal emissions trucks go, if your truck is an automatic (and has a DPC-202 PCM), have Bill get you the TDE1 file. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on the actual code for your truck. You'll end up with the same dismal transmission operation that you have now. Certain companies will ask you for your actual PCM code and you will regret it. Others automatically give you the better stuff based soley off of the year, CA or federal emissions, and transmission type.

Now that I'm done ranting there, you mentioned a few Super Duty trucks in there as well. Talk to Bill and he'll probably have some great advice on which files to use for those trucks.

Manual-equipped trucks aren't nearly as picky with their PCM code cross-breeding.

As far as definitions go, there are a TON!! However, there are only about 8-10 that are ever needed for the 95-03 7.3s. Usually people doing the tuning have a favorite base file for each manual/automatic for 95-97, Early 99, 99.5-01, and 02-03.....unless there are some Califor nazi uh specific calibrations you need.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and also somewhat good working with computer programs. I was thinking I could tune for stage I injectors myself... just feels better hearing it from someone else. I've only looked at the PCM code on my '95. All trucks are manual except one '02. I'm almost sure that none of the trucks are CA models. Thanks for the help, I'll have to give a call to Bill sometime although it might be a while being I just ordered gauges for my pickup this morning. Summit racing had a discount that needed to get used up. Boost and pyro headed my way.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Here are a few things to look into. I don't know where you're from, but as far as federal emissions trucks go, if your truck is an automatic (and has a DPC-202 PCM), have Bill get you the TDE1 file. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on the actual code for your truck. You'll end up with the same dismal transmission operation that you have now. Certain companies will ask you for your actual PCM code and you will regret it. Others automatically give you the better stuff based soley off of the year, CA or federal emissions, and transmission type.

Now that I'm done ranting there, you mentioned a few Super Duty trucks in there as well. Talk to Bill and he'll probably have some great advice on which files to use for those trucks.

Manual-equipped trucks aren't nearly as picky with their PCM code cross-breeding.

As far as definitions go, there are a TON!! However, there are only about 8-10 that are ever needed for the 95-03 7.3s. Usually people doing the tuning have a favorite base file for each manual/automatic for 95-97, Early 99, 99.5-01, and 02-03.....unless there are some Califor nazi uh specific calibrations you need.
Cody pretty much covered it.

I like to see the gauges come first . I have allot of customers that want the power but pay no attention to being able to monitor what the engine is doing.

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

He'll probably want to hook you up with the MLE1 files and RDT for yours. I'm willing to bet it's a SOD2 or thereabouts PCM presently. (DPC-203)

The '00 will probably get a DAC3. (421)

As for the '02 trucks, the auto will be VDH5 and the manual will likely be GDU3...but I'm not positive on that one.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post
. I have allot of customers that want the power but pay no attention to being able to monitor what the engine is doing.
On that note, I find it incredible that 90% of the people who tow heavily/race and are totally oblivious to EGT (have no gauges) seldom have problems while the people with correct instrumentation who overdo the EGTs one time do have problems.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
On that note, I find it incredible that 90% of the people who tow heavily/race and are totally oblivious to EGT (have no gauges) seldom have problems while the people with correct instrumentation who overdo the EGTs one time do have problems.
That is weird how that works.

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Ignorance is bliss...
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post
That is weird how that works.
Indeed it is...
which is why I plan to WAY overdo all my air mods
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.