Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Old Fri, May 27th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Whopper

qtrhors is on a distinguished road
Default auto trans upgrades for towing

Have a 28 ft 5th wheel Im leaving with for Portland Or from Billings Mt. Some grade to deal with My question is what mods have you guys done or like for the auto trans. Now this may sound like a pretty dumb question but does my rig have a factory external tranny cooler?(no I havnt looked yet). What type/size? What should I get? Im thinking a better tranny pan too Suggestions? thanx.

Tim
Old Fri, May 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Unless you get a full "heavy duty" rebuild, there are no bolt-on parts you can add to the transmission to make it stronger (valve body, torque converter, etc.). None of these parts make the transmission itself any stronger.

A larger transmission pan won't do anything but add fluid capacity. It won't add strength or cooling efficiency as there is just more hot fluid to extract heat from at that point.

The transmission cooler you have stock will be a little guy located between the A/C condenser and the intercooler near the bottom. It never hurts to add a bigger cooler.
Old Sat, May 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Whopper

I found the tranny cooler? I guess I well just have the tranny serviced(replace filter and fluid). Cody your comment about cooling efficiency is interesting. I have heard that increased pan capacity actually helps with cooling because the fluid stays in pan longer account more fluid volume and a finned aluminum pan helps this process.

Tim
Old Tue, May 31st, 2011, 11:02 AM
EVERYDAY HUSTLER

Lowdown89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrhors View Post
I found the tranny cooler? I guess I well just have the tranny serviced(replace filter and fluid). Cody your comment about cooling efficiency is interesting. I have heard that increased pan capacity actually helps with cooling because the fluid stays in pan longer account more fluid volume and a finned aluminum pan helps this process.

Tim
From what all I have read about bigger pans,coolers,etc. It seems that unless you upgrade your cooler it's not a great idea to get a deeper pan for the fact that once the fluid does heat up it takes longer to cool down in my opinion I would either add a larger cooler and a deep pan or just a larger cooler
Old Tue, May 31st, 2011, 07:49 PM
Whopper

Sounds reasonable to me Im no pro tech guy. Im just a hobby/tinker around guy at best. I have messed around with cars some...once upon time I had several "hot rods" including mid 11 sec stang. Getting the tranny flushed with filter and fluid change tomorrow. Going to head out thur morning.
Old Wed, June 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Have a good trip. I've taken that trip a couple of times but my destination was the Tillamook area. I like it there a lot.

Save your money on the transmission pan. They look neat and that's about it.
Old Wed, July 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Whopper

Well I made it home. 3200 mi and no major probs. The old white horse chugs along and shakes off any tough conditions. Im impressed even more with this engine. Hard to believe I once thought diesels were junk lol.
Old Wed, July 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I used to be the same way. You couldn't have given me a diesel in the '80s or early '90s. Now look at where we are!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, July 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Whopper

my rig at daughter and son-in-laws
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (33.9 KB, 24 views)
Old Fri, July 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrhors View Post
my rig at daughter and son-in-laws
Nice!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.