Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Whopper

ak_cowboy is on a distinguished road
Default Towing Limit on Perf Tune

I recently heard that the max towing weight on a performance tune is only 2500lbs. After reading through my owners manual I saw no mention of a weight limit, only that it's recommended to switch to the tow tune.
When I got my custom tunes I made sure to mention I tow heavy loads at times and my max tow is 9200#.

Am I really limited to 27% of my max tow? I don't have a warranty to worry about and trans/water temp gauges to monitor...
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

If you want to tow more you can always switch out to the tranny only tune or the stock tune. The performance tune has timing and other issues with towing, so to be sure to not damage anything I wouldn't tow more than 2500.
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
If you want to tow more you can always switch out to the tranny only tune or the stock tune. The performance tune has timing and other issues with towing, so to be sure to not damage anything I wouldn't tow more than 2500.
Where did the 2500# limit come from though? If I'm towing 8000+ I'll definitly switch over. But shoot, my payload is more than 2500...
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Grown-up in training!

I don't know if Bill or Edge put in the limit, I would imagine that they tested the load limits in actual vehicles by loading them up and seeing how the engine responded. That or they just guessed ... If you load the truck up with that much weight you shouldn't see a problem, and maybe even a little more than that, but I wouldn't push it too far. What are you carrying that weighs so much?
Also I wonder if there is a difference between towing and in truck weight... it might make a difference where the weight is located... but that doesn't make much sense to me so I don't see it really making a difference.
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
Also I wonder if there is a difference between towing and in truck weight... it might make a difference where the weight is located... but that doesn't make much sense to me so I don't see it really making a difference.

If you load the truck up with that much weight you shouldn't see a problem, and maybe even a little more than that, but I wouldn't push it too far. What are you carrying that weighs so much?
Yeah, that's what I was curious about too...

What do I carry? Here's a load of firewood...

Here's 2000lbs of fertilizer...
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

The performance tunes are only rated for the 2000-2500# range because the engine is set to run a little leaner to generate more horsepower. Adding more weight than intended will make your temps run much higher and risk all the damage associated with over-advanced timing.

The tow tunes are designed to help manage the temperatures and produce more torque by making the fuel/air ratio more rich. The timing is also slightly further back to keep from knock under the higher load.
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
Yeah, that's what I was curious about too...

What do I carry? Here's a load of firewood...

Here's 2000lbs of fertilizer...
Good looking truck , and yeah, you might be over the 2500#s with the firewood lol... and what longshot said makes sense to me. is that a full chord of wood or 3/4? sorry for the randomness...
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Whopper

Thanks That's probably a full cord, didn't bother to cube it all out lol

I run my 87 tow tune all winter cuz it doesn't make financial sense to be burning winter blend premium and idling all the time...but I was just curious where the 2500# limit came from.
Old Thu, February 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

also posted on f150online...

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.