Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, February 21st, 2012, 01:25 AM
Whopper

sblue is on a distinguished road
Default Re tune for intake, is it a must and how long?

Hello all!

I'm going to be purchasing a Volant intake for my 04 F150 5.4 and just want to confirm that I will need to have my Gryphon (original style) re tuned for this? Currently running a 87 performance tune.

How much rwhp can I realistically expect from the intake with the tune?
and also of importance to me is how long to receive the updated tune?
It's been years that I've had this programmer so I can't recall the exact time frame I waited but I do know it was more than 8 weeks. Will I have to wait this length again? (not meant to be rude at all, I hope no one takes offense)

Also, it's been a few years since I've had my tuner so I forgot if I need to send it in or is an email sent out to me?

On a side note, I hardly ever switch levels on my gryphon as I'm very happy with it as is, but when I do switch to tow mode I notice that for a few days that my truck will idle really low and sometimes shut off at a light or stop sign etc.
I'm assuming once the computer re learns it stops as it's always been the case that after a few days it returns to normal.
Do I need an update or anything? I hope it's not a faulty programmer or anything?
Old Tue, February 21st, 2012, 01:32 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Frankly, if you haven't purchased it already, we don't recommend CAIs (unless you do a lot of heavy towing and need to worry about cylinder head temps). Bill says that you won't see more than 4-6 hp gains -- and you'll also have a lovely drone. You can get the same (or better) gains with the Gotts Mod; it'll cost you about $40 in parts, AND your custom tunes won't need to be rewritten!

You can do a search on here for "Gotts Mod" -- there's a wonderful thread with a write-up from JackandJanet!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, February 21st, 2012, 01:56 AM
Whopper

sblue is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the super quick reply GroovyChick.

I do tow almost every weekend in the summer. (Wakeboard Boat)
So I'm trying to squeeze out as much ponies as I can from the o'l girl.

I'm picking up a brand new Volant intake that I scored for a 100 bucks from a buddy. Otherwise I would do the gotts mod and call it a day.
I've heard clips online of the intake growling and that's a plus for me.

Could you fill me in on the re tuning process (time mframe, price etc) or is it best to call in?

By the way the custom 87 performance tune I'm running has made my lifted truck with larger tires run like stock or better again!
It's like my truck has found its youth again! lol
Old Tue, February 21st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

I'm so happy that your tune is working out for you!

You'll need to fill out an order form: Power Hungry Performance - Ordering Info

Based upon our current workload, I'd say that it may take up to 6 weeks for your tune to be rewritten -- so don't install that CAI yet! (It may not be that long, but I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.) Hold off until the tune is ready, or you may run a risk of running lean.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, February 21st, 2012, 12:48 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

When you get your order in the post your info here>>> http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/lates...html#post55591

Thankyou

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.