Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Tue, December 29th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road
Default 97-98' EDGE and Gryphon problems?

First, I don't have any problems. I'm just looking for the knowledge since I've seen people asking and I do not know for sure.

From what I've been reading, people are saying 97' and 98' don't work well with the programmers?

1 guy said his Edge won't change his tire size and someone mentioned it having a sensitive computer that won't allow you to change anything?

Basically, what are the reasons 97' and 98' don't work well with the programmers?

If there is a thread already stating, I did not see it.
Old Tue, December 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Nice questions, and I don't have all the answers.

But, as to Tire Size. the 97 and 98 trucks did not have PCM controlled speedometers, so the Edge/Gryphon cannot adjust the readout. You have to replace the VSS (in the rear axle I think) to adjust for non-OEM tires and/or gears.

There's really no other problems though. The older platforms don't have some of the information displays that the newer units do, so that might be what your friend is talking about. Times change, and we're talking technology that is now 11-12 years old? You'd probably send a computer that old to the landfill. But, if it's in your truck, maybe not, since the truck still runs.

Heck, my "daily drive" is a 19-year old Honda Accord (don't throw rocks). It runs great (and looks pretty good too, since I've taken care of it).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, December 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

"Rock"... just one rock to toss at ya... sorry had to
Old Wed, December 30th, 2009, 02:53 AM

I seen this post on F150online stating the kid talked to EDGE and he couldn't get it to work on his 97'?

"im sure someone can give you a definte answer....if not i would try going to edge's website and contacting them about it. i just dealt with them with some problems and they were VERY helpful because i was in the same situation. i got a used edge and wanted to know if it would work. they told me the 97-03 edge were the same for the f150 and can be used on any other truck ONLY if the previous truck it was on was returned to stock! as it turns out, my computer is too old to accept it (even though i do have a '97) but they even overnighted me a new one trying to get it to work. in the end, they let me keep the new one for me to sell or just use as a diagnostic device. so basically i got a brand new edge for free. all i had to do was ship them back the old one. great customer service. but to answer your question, i highly doubt it will work being that your truck is the new model f150 and his would be the older navigator...plus its a navigator rather than an f150."

Using Friend's old Edge Evo on my truck? - F150online Forums

He said his computer is to old, even though it's a 97'? But yet they are for 97-03?

I'm just curious. People ask questions and I try to help. And lately I've seen it 3 times where it's been said EDGE and Gryphon only work for 99+.

Last edited by AZFX4; Thu, December 31st, 2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old Wed, December 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Reread the post - The Edge came out of a 99 vehicle. That means it was designed for 97-03 model years. The OP wanted to put it in his 2008 truck. The earlier model Edge won't work in the newer model vehicles.

- Jack
Old Wed, December 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM

The guy who posted that has a 97'. And tried using a 97-03 EDGE but it would not work, and EDGE sent him a brand new 1 but it still didn't work?
Old Wed, December 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Sorry, I just followed the link you posted. Seems we're talking about two different threads. The one you posted is about using an old model Edge in a new model truck.

- Jack
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 02:41 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

On some older vehicles, we occasionally see a communications issue cause by what is conceivably a timing drift in the communications circuits. This causes the programmer to have difficulty in communicating with the PCM.

To date, I've only had 2 (maybe 3) '97/'98 F-150s that had difficulty programming and the better option for them was to go with a chip instead.

I want to note that we have also seen this issue on the '94-'97 trucks which is why the Evolution (and subsequently the Gryphon) had not been released for those models. It seems that the issue lies specifically with 2-Bank, 88K or 112K PCMs. The '97 and early '98 PCMs are, in fact, 112K memory which classifies them under the old hardware. Again, the older F-150s seem to have MUCH less of a problem with this and as such I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
On some older vehicles, we occasionally see a communications issue cause by what is conceivably a timing drift in the communications circuits. This causes the programmer to have difficulty in communicating with the PCM.

To date, I've only had 2 (maybe 3) '97/'98 F-150s that had difficulty programming and the better option for them was to go with a chip instead.

I want to note that we have also seen this issue on the '94-'97 trucks which is why the Evolution (and subsequently the Gryphon) had not been released for those models. It seems that the issue lies specifically with 2-Bank, 88K or 112K PCMs. The '97 and early '98 PCMs are, in fact, 112K memory which classifies them under the old hardware. Again, the older F-150s seem to have MUCH less of a problem with this and as such I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Take care.
Okay, I'll keep this in mind when people ask.

My buddy has a 98' with the 5.4 and he wants a Gryphon and I just realized after a few people mentioning problems, his truck was a 98'. But if you've only had 2 problems where people couldn't use it, he should be fine. I'll let him know.

Thanks.
Old Thu, February 25th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Whopper Junior

98fordman4.6 is on a distinguished road

I certainly hope this isn't a problem. I too have a '98 and hope to put a Gryphon on it in the not too distant future. After all the questions I have asked and the research on this I have done, I would sure be disappointed to find out that it was not an option for me.