Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough
Default Computer?

Bill I am having a weird issue with my transmission. It won't shift into OD. The light stays on that shows it to be off. Now if I hook up the Snap On scan tool and run through test it will go off during the test. Its not the wiring in the shifter handle cause that has been changed. No codes and the tranny shifts fine 1-3, full of fluid and its not burnt. Trans temps run under 140 pretty much all the time. Do you have an idea what could cause this in the computer? If you think it would be better if I called and talked to you about it next week I can do that. Its a TDE1 computer code.

Chuck
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown

Last edited by ChuckD; Sat, February 28th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old Sat, February 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

My first thought was the switch wiring, but you said that's covered. Keep in mind it could go bad again, but since it seems to work with the scan tool, I doubt that the issue. Could be a program problem or maybe even a bad TFT sensor. Any time there is an issue with anything trans related, OD should be locked out. Of course, the OD light should be blinking as well.

Is this something that just happened all of a sudden, or did it happen a couple of odd times and finally get stuck this way?

PM me your number and I can give you a call either tomorrow or Monday. Either that, or call me when you have time.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, March 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

I was just messing around with it today and unhooked the harness from the transmission and the light stayed on. Seemed kinda odd to me.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

I took it off and got lucky with the stock wires and got them correct the first time. That didnt solve the problem though. If you could get me the diagrams I would appreciate it.
2004 Explorer Limited
Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'll call over to the dealer tomorrow and see what I can dig up for ya.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

Well I guess it had to relearn everything. My first test drive was to pick my boy up from it was just 6 blocks. When I went to go town a van for a friend the light went out but still wasnt just right and after 15 miles it was working just like it was supposed to do. Thanks for the advice Bill, I thaught the bypass took it completely out but nope.
2004 Explorer Limited
Old Mon, March 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Well I guess it had to relearn everything. My first test drive was to pick my boy up from it was just 6 blocks. When I went to go town a van for a friend the light went out but still wasnt just right and after 15 miles it was working just like it was supposed to do. Thanks for the advice Bill, I thaught the bypass took it completely out but nope.
Don't you just love it when things are "self-repairing"? Of course, there's always that nagging feeling that it could suddenly turn "self-destroying".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, March 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

Well its done it again. The light is staying on and everything is back to completely stock. I am going to look for a new truck.
2004 Explorer Limited
Old Sat, March 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Do you still need wiring diagrams or diagnostic charts? if the vehicle is 03 or older I can probably find the info on my Alldata software... Sorry I don't have a newer version as its too Damn expensive.. (I have the commercial not the DIY version)...
I am happy to look up info for anyone that needs it...

My other suggestion when you get one of these "weird" issues is I can post it to iATN.. I discontinued my paid membership when I got my new job as Mr. Mom but I can still post a help request if you are really stuck.

I'm not a transmission Guy at all, but I'm always looking to learn something new
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Sun, March 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

Any help would be appreciated. It is a weird thing cause I have noticed if I run both tanks down to 1/4 it does it more. It will just not go into overdrive doesn't matter how much I push the button, plus there is not 1 code. I do know of problems of the TC if the 3rd brake light is out. Mine was removed due to a shell that was on there and I sold it and don't have one. But I don't have TC issues. I am wondering if this might have something to do with it.
2004 Explorer Limited