Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > 6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming

6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming Power Hungry Performance 6.0L FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) programming has been
the industry standard for in FICM modification almost 10 years.

If you have questions or would like more information about the benefits, please post here.

Old Thu, July 28th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Whopper Junior

Power2336 is on a distinguished road
Question VXCF4NG versus VXCF9NZ any thoughts?

I just have my FICM replaced at my dealership this week under warranty and they re flashed my PCM to the VXCF9NZ strategy and was curious what the pros and or cons are or is it worth rolling back to the original VXC4 code? I run tunes from Matt and Vivian and spoke to Matt who said I should be able to run my original tunes even with the new strategy. He also mention that the new VXC9 code cycles the vanes at idle aswell as other features that are a plus. Sorry I dont have the other features on hand as I should have written them down. I did notice that after I set my truck to stock before taking to dealer and then picking it up that the truck in stock form with new CODE felt to me like a dog stuck in mud and no real acceleration compared to the previous stock tune. I also have been running the runes for a year or so now so also forgot how better the truck runs with the tunes in place. I did notice though with the new stock strategy that I got 2-3 mpg less going 70.
Old Thu, July 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The VXCF9xx stragegy of which you speak is the ECM code, not the FICM code. However, if Ford flashed your ECM to VXCF9xx, then your FICM also has a new strategy as well.

From the website:

"Unfortunately, this year also saw the release of Engine Control Module (ECM) and Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) updates that limited power output of the engine and severely degraded fuel economy. Also, in an effort to reduce further issues on the '03 and '04 model years, the same power limiting calibrations were loaded into any vehicle that happened to wander into a Ford dealership for service. Often, these "updates" were applied without the knowledge (or approval) of the vehicle owners. Imagine the surprise of 6.0L owners everywhere who went in for a simple oil change and lost 3-5 MPG INSTANTLY!"

"Often, customers with later ECM strategies will not see the same results from a FICM Reflash that customers with earlier ECM strategies do. Ford dealerships do not have the capability to reprogram your ECM/TCM to an earlier, more desireable calibration; PHP, however, can! If your current calibration is VXCF7xx, VXCF9xx, VXAP2xx, or VXBC9xx, we strongly recommend that you request an ECM/TCM rollback in conjunction with your FICM reprogramming."
Old Thu, July 28th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
The VXCF9xx stragegy of which you speak is the ECM code, not the FICM code. However, if Ford flashed your ECM to VXCF9xx, then your FICM also has a new strategy as well.

From the website:

"Unfortunately, this year also saw the release of Engine Control Module (ECM) and Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) updates that limited power output of the engine and severely degraded fuel economy. Also, in an effort to reduce further issues on the '03 and '04 model years, the same power limiting calibrations were loaded into any vehicle that happened to wander into a Ford dealership for service. Often, these "updates" were applied without the knowledge (or approval) of the vehicle owners. Imagine the surprise of 6.0L owners everywhere who went in for a simple oil change and lost 3-5 MPG INSTANTLY!"

"Often, customers with later ECM strategies will not see the same results from a FICM Reflash that customers with earlier ECM strategies do. Ford dealerships do not have the capability to reprogram your ECM/TCM to an earlier, more desireable calibration; PHP, however, can! If your current calibration is VXCF7xx, VXCF9xx, VXAP2xx, or VXBC9xx, we strongly recommend that you request an ECM/TCM rollback in conjunction with your FICM reprogramming."
thats what I was afraid of that the dealer would not re flash to previous code. I have been told that even with the new VXC9 code on my ECM and now new FICM, that if I run custom tunes from people like MATT at GEARHEAD they can tweak their tunes so that they can regain the power loss and with that hopefully a few of the MPG depending on my right foot. I ran MATTs tunes before I got the new FICM and talked to him since. Does this hold any weight or is going threw PHP my only real option to get back what the DEALERs have stolen lol?
Old Fri, July 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We've run into a couple concerns with having an ECM programmed with a later strategy and then using a programmer with an earlier strategy. The few trucks we've tried it on have ended up disabled and needed to be recovered. I'm not sure if this is still the case, or if SCT has changed their firmware on the X3 to circumvent this problem.

Stock for stock, the earlier strategies are the best way to go. In most cases, running a tuned VXCF9xx strategy is going to offer a considerable improvement over stock, but our dyno tests have shown that the later strategies just don't seem to make the same power as the earlier strategies. My VXBC9 strategy on the hot tune makes just under 400 HP while the VXBC6 strategy makes 430 with the same tuning on the same maps.

Just something to think about...

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, August 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
We've run into a couple concerns with having an ECM programmed with a later strategy and then using a programmer with an earlier strategy. The few trucks we've tried it on have ended up disabled and needed to be recovered. I'm not sure if this is still the case, or if SCT has changed their firmware on the X3 to circumvent this problem.

Stock for stock, the earlier strategies are the best way to go. In most cases, running a tuned VXCF9xx strategy is going to offer a considerable improvement over stock, but our dyno tests have shown that the later strategies just don't seem to make the same power as the earlier strategies. My VXBC9 strategy on the hot tune makes just under 400 HP while the VXBC6 strategy makes 430 with the same tuning on the same maps.

Just something to think about...

Take care.
Thank you for the info. I have another queston for you.
Since I got my ECM flashed to the VXCF9 and a new FICM from FORD installed threw warranty but would like to get the roll back to the VXCF4 from you guys would I need to have the FICM reprogrammed as well to the same code or do they runindebendant when it comes to that scenerio or can I just do the ECM on its own then later on get a new FICM 58V threw swamps with your hybrid tuning when money permits?