Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, June 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Whopper Junior

spencerdrewh is on a distinguished road
Help I have a big problem!

Let me start by saying that I have the Gryphon and am waiting on my custom tunes. I have an 05 f150 with the 4.6. I was driving today and my truck shifted really hard twice. I took it back out later to see if I could pinpoint what was wrong with it and it began to completely drive funny. It started to rev up really high and would not drive any faster. I pulled over and in the dialogue box Trans Fault came up and the codes P2106 and P0720 came up as well. When I would put my truck in drive it would rev up really high for about 10 seconds before it would go anywhere and then once it would move it would go any faster than 20-30 MPH. I was only about 1 mile from home so I went on home very slowly. What is going on???
Old Sat, June 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

It sounds to me like the torque converter might be bad, or not, that is my first guess but I don't know too much. hope that helps
Old Sat, June 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Download the document in my sig. It is a PDF I made of trouble codes, causes and cures from information I got from Bill. It isn't a complete list but it does have information on nearly all of the codes.

Unfortunately P2106 doesn't come up in my list. Can you double check that code?

P0720 Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0720,"Insufficient input from Output Shaft Speed sensor.
--Description-- The output shaft speed sensor inputs a signal to the PCM, based on the speed of the output shaft of the transmission. The PCM compares this signal with the signal of the VSS or TCSS and determines correct tire size and axle gear ratio.
--Possible Causes--
- OSS sensor circuit short to GND
- OSS sensor circuit short to PWR
- OSS sensor circuit open
- Damaged OSS sensor
- Damaged PCM"
Old Sat, June 23rd, 2012, 11:35 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
It sounds to me like the torque converter might be bad, or not, that is my first guess but I don't know too much. hope that helps
I sure hope it's not the torque converter! That'd be a nightmare haha.
Old Sat, June 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Download the document in my sig. It is a PDF I made of trouble codes, causes and cures from information I got from Bill. It isn't a complete list but it does have information on nearly all of the codes.

Unfortunately P2106 doesn't come up in my list. Can you double check that code?

P0720 Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0720,"Insufficient input from Output Shaft Speed sensor.
--Description-- The output shaft speed sensor inputs a signal to the PCM, based on the speed of the output shaft of the transmission. The PCM compares this signal with the signal of the VSS or TCSS and determines correct tire size and axle gear ratio.
--Possible Causes--
- OSS sensor circuit short to GND
- OSS sensor circuit short to PWR
- OSS sensor circuit open
- Damaged OSS sensor
- Damaged PCM"
Thanks for your help! My dad owns a shop here in GA that I work at when I'm not away at school. I'm going to have our mechanic take a look at it on Monday. I'm hoping it's that sensor. Any idea what causes it to go bad?

P2106 is the code that my Gryphon read. It said "Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power". From some of the other stuff I've been reading, I should check that speed sensor first and go from there.