Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, November 2nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Whopper Junior

FStorm150 is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble Registering Gryphon and Connecting to Computer

Hi. I received my Gryphon today. I installed the included Pegasus software, but when I open it with my Gryphon connected via USB, it still says "disconnected" at the bottom of the window and the screen is blank in Pegasus. When I go to register the Gryphon under Help and hit the retrieve button, it says the the Gryphon is not connected. I have installed all of the USB drivers as well.

Thanks for any help.
Old Fri, November 2nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

It sometimes works to uninstall everything, make sure you get everything, then reinstall pegasus, then the drivers, then hook up the gryphon to the computer and go from there.
Old Fri, November 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I suspect the drivers are not properly installed. And, if you're using a Win 7 or Vista machine, it seems to be hard sometimes to get things working. I still have not managed to get Pegasus to connect to my old Gryphon on my new Win 7 PC.

My advice to you is to try to install Pegasus on a Win XP machine. Then, WITH PEGASUS RUNNING plug the Gryphon into the USB port. This should cause the drivers to install and hopefully, you'll see that it's connected.

If you don't have an XP machine, find a friend who does.

If none of this is possible, try completely removing Pegasus from your current PC and then uninstall the drivers. I've written a post on how to do this here: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...tallation.html. Then, reinstall Pegasus and have it running before you try to plug in the Gryphon. It may work for you then.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the help. I have followed all of the steps you've given me, including the ones for removing the faulty driver (great write up by the way). I have tried on both windows 7 and XP machines, and the same thing happens. While installing Pegasus on both machines, I am asked during the the installation if I would like to install the drivers. In windows 7, it seems to be sort of glitchy when doing so as the driver installer stops responding for a bit, and then asks if I'm sure if I want to install the drivers from an unknown publisher. In XP, it also asks during the installation of Pegasus if I want to install the drivers, and when I do, a prompt comes up saying "This software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP".

So in the end, after installing on both machines and plugging in the Gryphon after installation is complete with Pegasus open, it still says disconnected. Is the Gryphon itself supposed to light up or turn on when connected to the PC? If it is supposed to, mine is not.

Thanks again for all your help. I would like to order a custom tune and can't do so without the serial number, which I believe is only viewable in Pegasus.
Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Whopper Junior

Thanks, but its still not working. I've tried on both Windows 7 and XP machines. I'll try e-mailing Bill to see what he says.
Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It is normal for the warnings about "unknown publisher" or "windows logo" to appear, and they can be ignored. Microsoft brings those up any time you install anything that is not either written by Microsoft or that was sent to Microsoft and "approved".

It almost sounds like you have a faulty USB cable. The screen on the Gryphon should light up red if it is not connected to Pegasus, then it will turn green when it is connected. So, I'm thinking you are not receiving power through the USB cable either because of a problem in it or because there might be some problem in the USB port of the PC you are using. Since you tried two PCs, I'm betting on a cable problem. Is there some other device you can try with that cable?

The PC should also play a little "sound" when you plug the Gryphon in - does it?

And, does the Gryphon function properly when you plug it into the OBDII port of your truck (with the ignition turned ON, engine off)?

Edit: And FStorm, I've merged your two threads on this subject together here. Please don't start duplicate threads on the same topic. It causes confusion and can result in erroneous information being posted.

- Jack
Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Whopper Junior

My apologies about the duplicate post Jack, sorry!

I will try the cable with another device such as a digital camera and see if it works. There is not sound when the Gryphon is plugged into the PC, and I know exactly what you mean by that. It's like when you plug any piece of hardware like a camera or printer into a PC and a message pops up at the bottom right toolbar saying new hardware has been found or something like that with a sound playing, but that hasn't happened when I've plugged the Gryphon in. And like I said the Gryphon doesn't light up at all. However, it works perfectly when plugged into my OBDII port, I even ran a stock tune through it last night to see how it worked. So far, so good as far as it operating properly in the truck.

I've also e-mailed Bill about the matter. Hopefully he'll have some insight on it. The only reason I'm in a rush to get it connected to the PC is so that I can get the serial number to the Gryphon so that I can order a custom tune, and eventually be able to download it when it's done.

Thanks again for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
It is normal for the warnings about "unknown publisher" or "windows logo" to appear, and they can be ignored. Microsoft brings those up any time you install anything that is not either written by Microsoft or that was sent to Microsoft and "approved".

It almost sounds like you have a faulty USB cable. The screen on the Gryphon should light up red if it is not connected to Pegasus, then it will turn green when it is connected. So, I'm thinking you are not receiving power through the USB cable either because of a problem in it or because there might be some problem in the USB port of the PC you are using. Since you tried two PCs, I'm betting on a cable problem. Is there some other device you can try with that cable?

The PC should also play a little "sound" when you plug the Gryphon in - does it?

And, does the Gryphon function properly when you plug it into the OBDII port of your truck (with the ignition turned ON, engine off)?

Edit: And FStorm, I've merged your two threads on this subject together here. Please don't start duplicate threads on the same topic. It causes confusion and can result in erroneous information being posted.

- Jack
Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Whopper Junior

Good news! It was indeed a faulty cable. Tried another one I had from a digital camera, and everything works fine now, was able to connect and everything. Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it!
Old Sun, November 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
PHP Groupie

Great! I love it when something I suggest actually works! Enjoy your new toy.

- Jack
Old Mon, November 19th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Whopper

Boomlag7 is on a distinguished road

hey guy's I'm sorry to butt in , but I'm also on windows 7 and have similar issues as Fstorm . my gryphon turns red only but not green ( goes off & on intermittently too ) and did not hear any start-up sound when I connect to Pegasus . and cable is one supplied through PHP . tried all usb ports but nothing changes with disconnected in lower screen and with different s/n # than mine . I know win 7 is a pain however I'm waiting for someone to call me for next move . sorry if this is not proper section to post this ..