Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, April 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM
jrthomas

jrthomas15 is on a distinguished road
Question Gears?

Ok, Jack I figure this is a question for you.

I'm waiting on my gryphon to come in. Right now I have 33in tires on my truck, I'm wanting to go to 35in tires. The way I understand it you can change your gears on the gryphon. Does this mean you can change the gear ratio to what gears you have or does it mean you can have any gear ratio you want. I'm just wondering to I need to regear my truck with 35in tires, I hope not because I really don't want to.

Thanks, Jordan
Old Sun, April 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well im not Jack, but the only way to get a higher gear ratio is to get new gears installed. After you do that you can enter it into the gryphon to compensate the speedo and shift points. Although 35" tires are not great with stock gears, you would not have to regear. many people dont. But it would help you get back some lost performance.

But with all that being said, Im not sure what it does if you put a false value in. I would assume it would throw your shift points off, but the performance loss would still be there.
Old Sun, April 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
jrthomas

jrthomas15 is on a distinguished road

OK thanks thats what i figured just making sure
Old Sun, April 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, jrthomas15, I think JWBFX4 answered you probably better than I would have done! (In fewer words)!

JWBFX4, you are absolutely right in every point. (You seemed to be asking a bit of a question when you mentioned "shift points", but I'm sure if the gear setting is wrong, the net result is going to be less than optimal, in terms of power or economy. Although, Ford DOES engineer these settings to give a balance between acceptable power and economy. Any change is going to sacrifice one of them. The 35" tires are going to hurt acceleration with stock gears.)

I suppose having the wrong GR setting programmed COULD be a bit like "two wrongs making a 'right'", but that's not the way I'd tune my truck

Sorry, JWB, I just couldn't help adding some thoughts. Your post was dead on!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, April 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Bacon King

Desert Racer is on a distinguished road

I have 35's with a 3.73 gear ratio and from 0-25ish I noticed a loss, but up past that not a problem in power at all with the basic bolt ons. However if you plan on towing I would suggest regearing to 4.56's.