Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Whopper

sblue is on a distinguished road
Default Canned questions?

I had a question regarding the canned towing mode. Does it require 87 or 89 octane? Also is the canned level 3 set up stock with 91 or 93 octane? (I live in California so no 93)
I plan on ordering a gryphone in the next week or so, can't wait for it especially reading everybody's experience.
How long is the wait for a custom tune?

Sounds like 87 performance is the way to go. Can anyone tell me the difference between the canned tow mode and 87 performance?

Thank's guy's!
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Whopper

One more question regarding tow mode. how do the canned tune and performance tow tune differ?
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

The canned tow tune is designed for 87 octane fuel. You CAN run higher octane gas in it if you want. To take advantage of the better anti-knock properties of 89 octane, you SHOULD be able to advance your timing by 1 degree if you fill with that stuff.

However, since towing DOES put a load on the engine, I think I'd try advancing the timing by 0.5 degrees at first and see if you notice any detonation. If all is well, move it up to the full 1 degree in 0.25 degree increments.

Canned Level 3 is set for 91+ octane. The timing and fuel strategies are correct for 91. If you put 93 octane in, you should be able to increase timing again by 1 degree.

Custom tunes seem to be running 4-6 weeks now? Bill and Corey are busier than ever!

Tow tunes are designed to improve low end torque - to get you moving pulling a load.

And, I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are asking in your second post.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Whopper

Thank's for the response Jack,
In my second post I was asking the difference between the canned tow tune and a custom tow tune? (87 performance tow tune)

such an awesome forum php has got going on here!
Old Mon, March 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I agree with the awesome part!

Now that I understand, I can answer your question - sort of. As you possibly know from other posts, I pull a 3600#, low-profile trailer (pics of it are in my gallery). The canned tow tune was really designed for a bigger, heavier trailer, maybe in the 6000#+ range? So, it really had more low end muscle than I needed. I wanted something that would cruise economically pulling that weight (and aerodynamic drag) and that would still give me passing power on 2-lane roads when I needed it. And, I told Bill that I'd be towing quite a bit at high altitudes and up steep grades.

So, he wrote me a tune designed to do those things. I can pull the trailer with ease and I picked up 0.7 mpg over my best mileage using the canned tow tune.

Now, everyone's needs are different and it's possible the canned tune would be just right for you. But, since it's a "generic" tune that tries to please everyone, I'm sure it could be improved for your specific needs.

That's about all I can say, except that I would not want to drive my truck on any trip without one of Bill's tunes loaded!

Hope this helps!

- Jack