Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Wed, August 8th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Whopper Junior

Reid is on a distinguished road
Shout it Out BOOST

what is the max boost that my stock motor can handle without head studs? I have read the stock turbo can handle 35. I have also heard that a stock 7.3 can handle 30 pounds. But that was the 99-03 and im in a 96.
Old Mon, January 17th, 2022, 03:20 PM
Whopper Junior

d2freak82 is on a distinguished road

As far as I've read - 40psi, but the MAP sensor can only read up to 25. Which the PCM reads boost from the MAP sensor.
Don't quote me on that, but that's what I've seen and what I follow for pressures - and my turbo hits pretty dang close if not over that. I haven't done studs yet but it's likely coming.

Stock turbo is a different story, but supposedly it'll hit 35 - I would recommend a new turbo if you're going for those numbers though
Old Thu, January 20th, 2022, 01:03 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I've run up to 40 PSI on several trucks without any head gasket issues. The stock MAP sensor will only pull up to 24 PSI. This is due to the fact that they use a 3-bar MAP, but 1 full bar is wasted for vacuum... Which obviously is useless on a diesel.

However, since the MAP is mostly used for low-boost fuel control, by the time you hit 24 PSI you're already at full fuel and the boost level is pretty irrelevant. If you want to know exactly what your boost is, just put a gauge on it and leave it at that.

For reference, you can change the sensor to a full 3-bar, 4-bar, or 5-bar pressure only MAP or 5 volt pressure sensor, and then have the MAP sensor transfer function rescaled for the new sensor so that the OBD will display a correct value. We've done this in the past for special applications where we wanted accurate control of the low-boost fueling (anaeroid) as well as control of fuel up to about 60 PSI. This does require a large number of changes in the calibration and honestly isn't necessary in most applications.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!