Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, July 19th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Double Whopper

superdutynick is on a distinguished road
Default Blown CAC Hose

Anyone blown a hole in the CAC hose cold (drivers side). I have a 2005 6.0PSD with 50k miles. I installed the CTS last Friday and was running the 80 HP performance stock tune (while waiting for my custom tunes ). It was running good up until I blew the hose. I was on my way home from work today when it happened... I was running around 70 in the left lane and wanted to get in front of some people in the right lane before I had to turn off (didn't want to be behind them on the county road). I hammered it... started accelerating... heard a loud pop and hissing and lost power. Freaked me out! I turned off to the side road kept checking everything (gauges, lights, signs of leaking fluids behind me) decided to take it easy and try and make it home about 4 miles. On the drive home I had diagnosed it as turbo related since everything seemed ok except for when the boost got above 6psi. I found a hole under the air cleaner in between the corrugations about 3 inches from the cooler. I am thinking it was probably a weak spot that was bound to happen sooner or later... the extra power just maybe expedited it. Any thoughts? I have read a lot about the hoses blowing off… just not blowing a hole. BTW I found one and ordered it; should be here Thursday… maybe I will have the custom tunes too!
Old Tue, July 19th, 2011, 11:53 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

It's not uncommon to pop the CAC hose, hot or cold side. After years of temp cycling, flexing, and oil contamination, they eventually will fail. It's just one of those things that always seems to happen when it's most inconvenient. Do yourself a favor and consider replacing all the boots. It's a little pricey, but in the long run it's well worth the peace of mind.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Double Whopper

Atleast it happened close to home... and when I wasn't hauling anything. Would have sucked 2 weeks ago when I had 2 ton of river rock in the back of her.
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

Its usually the one right at the turbo. Its a weak little hose with the unnatural bend in it and all. Keep one of those in the glove box, we see them fail all the time. Stock trucks too.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Fri, July 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Double Whopper

OK... so the hose came in today and it took about an hour to replace. Truck seems to be running better on stock than it did before. It also seems quieter at idle than it did before. I saw several slits around the tube and a big blow out. I think it had been leaking for a while. Would a leaky hose make the engine louder? I never heard any “hissing” from it before… it just sounded louder, and I had had some complaints at drive through’s the last several months that I had never had before.

The replacement that I ordered was by Dorman 904-227. It is identical to the Ford except the Ford oval and Ford P/N were literally ground off with a die grinder or dremel tool. Not too happy about that. The tube is definitely thinner there now because of it. Has anyone else used Dorman products and noticed this? Doesn’t seem right to me. If they make it for Ford, all they had to do (when they were designing the mold) was put a removable insert with the Ford stuff, and then they could have put their name on it place of Ford’s without compromising the integrity of the tube (I used do design molds).

Thanks for the advice Bill… I checked out the other boots and I see oil build up on and around them… I will be ordering some real soon to replace them.
Old Fri, July 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

They GROUND the logos off? WTF, mate? That's crap. I think I'd be more than a little upset if that should blow out again.

As for the quieter running, I can't say that changing a CAC hose would make any difference. At least not that i've ever noticed.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Fri, July 22nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
They GROUND the logos off? WTF, mate? That's crap. I think I'd be more than a little upset if that should blow out again.

As for the quieter running, I can't say that changing a CAC hose would make any difference. At least not that i've ever noticed.
Thats exactly what I said!! I am going to call Dorman on Monday to see if it is standard practice. I will post a pic for all to see. If this is standard practice I will not buy another Dorman! Looks like a thief was trying to remove all #'s for trace back. LOL
Old Fri, July 22nd, 2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutynick View Post
Looks like a thief was trying to remove all #'s for trace back. LOL
Maybe they got their start in the gun trading business?

(678) 890-1110