Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Sat, October 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Tuner wannabe

DZL JIM is on a distinguished road
Default Glow Plug relay cycles...

'97, with the built-in high idle of these tunes the GPR cycles on and off for the 2 minutes till it's done.
I have to switch to a stock tune w/o high idle to keep it from doing this.
New GPR and plugs.
On the '97 I used to drive, I did not have a chip and would hold the throttle with my foot at 1100 rpm or so to warm up and it used to do the same thing.

Any ideas?
Tuning doing this?
My '96 that I bought new NEVER has done this.

Thanks.
Old Sat, October 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Well I don't see too much harm in posting this graph. I borrowed it for the sake of explaination.(images can be a thousand words...those guys from a presentation I went to on visual persuasion at college would be soo proud!) Check out the graph, when your truck is set to high idle at 1100 rpms(or whatever it be), your charging system must be putting out something above 14.01V. I suppose this was done to prevent the glowplugs from seeing to high of a voltage for an extended period of time to prevent burnout. This is from a stock calibration, and I don't think it would have been changed for the tune your using. Hasn't happened to me, but I also don't remember the last time I used the high idle.

Old Sun, October 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Tuner wannabe

DZL JIM is on a distinguished road

So the tuning can be changed so the GPR has a higher duty cycle when the amps are higher than 14.01?

Seems with the 'automatic high idle' in the tune this should have been changed, if this is in fact a possibility.

Thanks!