Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Thu, February 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road
Default Trans probe location

Currently I have mine in the line. I was looking for other ideas, some saying the temp could be off 30* there. All but one person said to put it in the test port on the drivers side of the tranny. Is this a good place or not. If not what is the best place?

stock...
Old Thu, February 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

IMO it should be in the pan, that is where the bulk of fluid is and it is actually circulation around the sender.
Old Fri, February 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Yes thats a good place.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Sun, February 21st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road

Anyone put it in the pressure port? Results?

stock...
Old Mon, March 15th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

hayjayhorses is on a distinguished road

yeah I put one in the port and in the line I talked about it in your other post.
Old Mon, March 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

How well does it read?
Old Mon, March 15th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

hayjayhorses is on a distinguished road

The PP temp would always be 15* to 20* less then engine temp. I have a real ECT gauge, with the probe mounted in the thermostat housing. The PP gauge would run 160* ish. The Aluminum tranny hosing IMHO is a big heat sink for the engine.
I don’t think the pressure port is a good place to monitor tranny temp because no or very little tranny fluid flows by the probe in that spot, also the aluminum is about an inch and half thick in this spot.

Another thing I have noticed is the trans temp reading on the scan tool is skewed. In my observation while driving the tranny temp that is displayed by the PCM drop or increases 10* to 20* during a shift, I think this is because the reading is picked up in the solenoid pack and fluid sits static under pressure and dose not flow until the PCM commands a shift and a solenoid opens allowing fluid to achuate (yeah spell check don’t know) a clutch.

I think the most important place to but your probe is in the tranny line so you can see what your torque converter is doing. Some times with my 2wd trucks the TCT will get to 250* to 280* when moving big trailers with heavy loads around the barn yards (this will not happen with a 4x4 if you use Low Range) so when it gets this hot I put it in park turn on the tranny cooler fan (if equipped) and then let it cool down before I jockey the truck around more. This will keep from killing your torque converter also I never shut the engine off until the TCT is less than 180*

I have a 3 speed aux tranny (a Brownie Box) to put in my 97 F350 auto 2wd truck it has 1st 2:1 2nd 1:1 and 3rd 1:0.79 Then I will have my 4x4 like low range.

I will have more later I got to go to fire training