Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Mon, August 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Whopper

mikey is on a distinguished road

Eagerly awaiting test results and HP and Torque numbers!

Also, what features will be tunable...disable TC, tire size adjustments, trans shift points...etc.

At least we have something to look forward to...
Old Mon, August 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
FYI, we will NOT be allowed to update earlier Gryphons or Evos too '09s and '10s.
but can you officially sell the gryphon CS now? or do you still need to get their permission?
Old Tue, August 31st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Whopper

dlsipe1 is on a distinguished road

Hey Corey? You guys are now saying you can not upgrade the Gryphons from earlier models to work with the 09-10's? I held onto my Gryphon when I sold my 06 because I was told that it would be able to be updated to work with my 09. What now? It has been loaded with custom tunes that worked great with my old 06, but that truck and its buyer are long gone, as it was sold almost a year ago. Is it worthless now with these custom tunes on it? Please advise.
Old Tue, August 31st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I dont know what Corey has to say, but you could always sell it to someone with an 04-08 F-150. worst case scenario of course
Old Wed, September 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Whopper

I thought about that, but it had 3 custom tunes that Bill had written specifically for that truck. Is there a way to restore it to the original "canned" Gryphon tunes? I think that's the only way I'll be able to sell it. It is unlocked (original truck was returned to stock before I pulled the Gryphon out.
Old Wed, September 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yes, you can certainly restore it to the canned tune status. All you have to do is connect it to Pegasus, and click on [Updates]->[Gryphon Updated Manager] and then let it install BOTH firmware and calibration updates. The calibration updates will restore the canned tunes.

Your old custom tunes would not have worked on a newer truck anyway - Bill would have to totally re-write them, even if your programmer was still able to be used.

You can blame Edge for this if you'd like. They simply do not want custom tunes put onto a non CS/CTS unit for 09+ trucks.

I DO think you'll be able to sell your Gryphon pretty quickly though. And, it's a good excuse to get a CS or CTS! (I decided to get one for my truck and I still have the old Gryphon too.) You can tell Bill you want your new tunes to "feel" like the older ones, if you liked them. He can probably use that information to good advantage.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 06:47 PM
Whopper

Thanks JackandJanet. I knew the custom tunes for the old truck wouldn't have worked. I was hoping to only have to pay for 3 new custom tunes and not a new programmer. I am sure this was a busine$$ decision on the part of edge not to allow older programmers to be reprogrammed and I don't blame Bill at all. I'm sure he's aware of the hardware capabilities, but if Edge says "no" he is probably bound by contract to comply. I'll see if I can figure this pegasus thing out and I guess its going to ebay.

I do like the new CS model, but really didn't want to put out the extra funds at this time.
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsipe1 View Post
Thanks JackandJanet. I knew the custom tunes for the old truck wouldn't have worked. I was hoping to only have to pay for 3 new custom tunes and not a new programmer. I am sure this was a busine$$ decision on the part of edge not to allow older programmers to be reprogrammed and I don't blame Bill at all. I'm sure he's aware of the hardware capabilities, but if Edge says "no" he is probably bound by contract to comply. I'll see if I can figure this pegasus thing out and I guess its going to ebay.

I do like the new CS model, but really didn't want to put out the extra funds at this time.
I understand your point completely and you are 100% correct in your analysis. It's very obvious that Edge is trying to quietly phase out the older style programmers in favor of the new ones and yes, from a business standpoint, it makes sense to market a single platform that "does everything".

Still, like you, I wish they had not closed the older units down so "firmly". In my case, if I ever sell my truck, the old Gryphon will go with it.

- Jack
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Whopper

Yeah, Jack, my gryphon would have gone with my truck too, if I'd known. If I were in Edge's shoes, with this tough economy, I'd do the same thing, probably. It only makes sense to lock out old products in order that customers have to upgrade the hardware when we upgrade our trucks. I'm sure they've done the math and figured it's a good financial business move overall from their perspective, but just another example of a little guy consumer - trying to get by - getting passed over. I don't know how many sales for new CS and CTS would be removed by upgrading the older ones that are out there, but they must have deemed it to be signifigant. From a business standpoint I get it. From the standpoint of one of a few of us that held onto our Gryphons, it does suck though.

Guess I'll be gettin a new CS from PHP when I can sell my Gryphon.

Regards,
Darin