Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Default damage from a dyno?

So a guy I was talking to last week told me that he has heard stories about cars engines blowing up because they were running them on a dyno, something about the load on the engine is different from normal driving, has anyone heard of that?
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I imagine it's possible to abuse a vehicle on a dyno just as easily as it is to do so on the road.

The one thing I see missing on a dyno is the effect of air cooling due to vehicle motion. I would guess you could overheat a vehicle fairly easily.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

I do know about the heat issue because we actually have two fans that blow into the vehicle's grill when it's being run on our dyno; I know Little Power Shop does something similar with a huge commercial fan. As far as the load, I'd have to check with Billy, and he's upstairs doing an ECM rollback with a customer -- at 8:41PM on a Friday night, no less...

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Well I hope he gets to bed before midnight... it is friday!
Old Fri, September 28th, 2012, 08:36 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I've not seen anything to indicate that running on a dyno is any more dangerous than running on the street, provided that precautions are taken to provide adequate airflow for cooling. The one thing I will say is that people will sometimes tend to push a vehicle harder on a dyno than they will on the street and that may be the cause of some engine failures. However, in 15 years I've never personally witnessed an engine failure on a dyno.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, September 28th, 2012, 09:41 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Starting your engine on fire during a dyno run is a hoot.

Good thing Bill has a calm head on his shoulders or my 2000 would look like a marshmallow that was held over a campfire too long.
Old Fri, February 12th, 2021, 10:33 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Little update..
Still running the same high pressure oil hoses. Where is the "living dangerously" smilie?

I'm not running injection pressure above 2400 PSI anymore either though and I really don't have any spikes when the IPR has to open up quickly since making low 3-hundos for powah with 250/200% isn't pushing it past 25%.
Old Sat, February 13th, 2021, 09:45 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

THAT was a fun day.

Fortunately, only minor damage. Basically cosmetic on the harness wrapping.

Going to be interesting when we get the new engine dyno installed!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Sat, February 13th, 2021, 12:15 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
T
Going to be interesting when we get the new engine dyno installed!

Need a co-host for an Engine Masters spin-off?
Old Mon, February 15th, 2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post

Need a co-host for an Engine Masters spin-off?
Sure! Whenever you're ready to move down this way. Actually going to be looking for an engine builder soon. Once things get situated with the dyno, we're going to construct a "clean room" to build engines.

I doubt we'll get any interest in a series out of it, but we can do our own podcasts.

(678) 890-1110