Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Tue, March 16th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Whopper

Keeblerz28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Questions b4 sending in Evo for Upgrade

First of all, I would like to quick say hi to everyone. I've been a member on this forum for a little while now, just to do a bit of learning, and now I think I'm ready to ask a few of my own questions. I drive a 2008 F150 XLT 5.4 FFV SCrew 3.73LS. It's basically the FX4 without the skid-plates, center shifter, and badging.

Right now, I have an Evo that I picked up used last summer that I'm thinking about getting upgraded. At the moment the truck is stock except for my TP efans, although I have a K&N 63 on its way to me, and I am planning on getting a maggy catback sometime soon. I drive at least 300+ miles a week, mainly 60-75 mph. My questions are:

1) What & how many custom tunes? (popular topic for questions, I know)
Right now I'm considering:

87 tow custom
87 perf custom (with economy for daily driving?)

If I really don't tow anything over 2500#, does it make sense to even get a custom tow tune? Although it makes some sense to have for future use... thoughts?

2) I know that some trucks are lean with aftermarket intakes, although I thought I read someplace that was only 04-05's. I'm assuming I can install my k&n when it gets here and run with it while my evo is getting upgraded?

3) I don't have the exhaust yet, does that make much difference in the custom tuning if I have or haven't got it by then?

4) Here in Iowa, the three common grades of gas are 87, 89(10% ethanol), & 91. I know that E85 and ethanol blends do not yield as good of mileage as unleaded, due to differing A/F ratios and such. I know that Bill can do any octane tuning, but is there anything that can be tweaked for the 89 (10%E) compared to a straight unleaded 89 tune? While the cost of the different grades is not a dealbreaker, I would be interested to see if tune for 89(10%E) could be optimized to yield the same results (mileage) as an 87 perf custom tune, since 89(10%E) is about 6-8 cents per gallon cheaper than 87. If not, I will just go with 87.

5) Since I live in Iowa (~1000ft ASL) that is the elevation I would like the tunes to be written for. However, I do visit my brother in Colorado Springs (~6500 ASL) a few times a year, which has high altitude gas (85). I have heard that octane numbered gas there burns about the same as a 2 pt higher here. (85@6500 ~ 87@1000, 87@6500~89@1000, etc). Do I need to be concerned with this at all? Or just not worry about it, for the relatively short time I drive at higher alt, and use 85 as if it were 87 when I am in Colorado? Maybe the mountain driving would be a good reason for having an 87 tow custom?

6) And lastly, I'm not in a huge hurry for this, so is there any upcoming sale or promotion that I should wait for?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old Tue, March 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

1. With putting a cai on it's a good idea to have a custom tow tune.
2. Why run any risk of running lean? Although the K+N is one of the least agressive cai's on the market. It should be ok.
3. Cat back exhaust will not change a thing.
4. 87-89 are grouped together with the same afr tables and timing curves.
$.08 difference? In SD right now 89 is $.15 cheaper than 87.
5. Elevation changes should be ok.
The tables should account for them.
6. Sales? Haven't heard of anything yet.

Take care!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, March 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Whopper

Edit: I did some more searching in this part of the forum, and I think I have it figured out. I think I'm gonna do:
1- tranny only
2- 89 tow custom
3- 89 perf custom (tweaked for economy if possible)

I am choosing to keep the tranny only and not the canned 93 perf, only because I hardly ever see 93 anywhere I fill up.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Keeblerz28; Wed, March 17th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old Wed, March 17th, 2010, 06:02 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

That setup looks good also!
Thank you
And you're welcome!

Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, April 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
1. With putting a cai on it's a good idea to have a custom tow tune.
2. Why run any risk of running lean? Although the K+N is one of the least agressive cai's on the market. It should be ok.
3. Cat back exhaust will not change a thing.
4. 87-89 are grouped together with the same afr tables and timing curves.
$.08 difference? In SD right now 89 is $.15 cheaper than 87.
5. Elevation changes should be ok.
The tables should account for them.
6. Sales? Haven't heard of anything yet.

Take care!
And bingo, sale announced a week later
Can anyone tell me if this sale also applies to me? (Upgrading Evo->Gryphon + custom tunes)