Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Old Tue, September 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

After the first half dozen, you'll get it down to 5 hours.

I got this one buttoned up this afternoon. It's amazing how these trucks even run when the inlets get clogged up (by the way, you ain't got nothin' on the last two sets I've done).
Old Wed, September 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

I have only done a couple D-Max injector changes so far (thank goodness), but I was still able to beat book time.

Now if only there was a better tool for popping the injectors out I could save a ton of time. That stupid OTC tool and a screwdriver cannot be the most efficient way of doing it.

I am surprised it ran as well as it did, only complaint on my RO was a haze at idle, otherwise ran fine.
Old Wed, September 7th, 2011, 08:41 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE View Post
Now if only there was a better tool for popping the injectors out I could save a ton of time. That stupid OTC tool and a screwdriver cannot be the most efficient way of doing it.
If you want, I can send you an old injector line I modified that you can grab onto while twisting and pulling....also I weld a lip onto the big end so one can use a 10 inch prybar and use a rocker shaft bolt to pry against. I've got at least a dozen extra lines, so it's no problem to send one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE
I am surprised it ran as well as it did, only complaint on my RO was a haze at idle, otherwise ran fine.
Yep, underfuel at idle (white haze) and then the severe overcorrection at all other times.....

It's amazing how one of these trucks can overfuel when all of the inlets are plugged solid. The one I did previous to this one had so much crap in there that it was nearly level with the top...but you couldn't keep it from fogging out the whole highway when rolling into it.

Oh well. Money in my pocket and a happy local since he can drive his truck again. The next one I do I will be sure to let the customer know that if he wants to go "cheap" on the injectors by buying them somewhere besides GM, I will charge extra if I have to tear it apart again. NAPA won't reimburse my additional time to go back into the even bank to replace one of their faulty injectors that lasted about 5 minutes. I won't even worry about actual Bosch remans from GM. Dozens and dozens of those and I have NEVER had a problem.
Old Thu, February 16th, 2012, 10:17 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Thought I might dig this one back up. Had one come in with a terrible knock and ridiculous amounts of black smoke. After finding the injector that was the issue and verifying it still had compression (guy drove it quite a ways like this) I decided it was this trucks turn do get a set of injectors.

I spent the past few hours pulling down the passenger side I got to the #5 injector and guess what - the sleeve popped out. I was amazed how easily the injector popped loose, then go to pull it out and make one hell of a mess of everything when coolant comes shooting out....joy.

I do have a question though, when I push the sleeve back in do I stick the injector in while I wait for the Loctite to cure?
Old Fri, February 17th, 2012, 09:03 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I do.

I just leave the coolant out and let it sit overnight afterward.

This way, if you're feeling confident (no reason not to), you can at least get the truck put back together (since getting to the injectors is the time consuming part anyway!!).