Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Whopper

CustomTruckGuy24 is on a distinguished road
Default Issue with Level 2 canned Gryphon

Hey all,

I switched from my custom tune to the Level 2 and so far the mileage seems even better than the custom which was impressive to begin with. I'm starting to think my truck doesn't like the Gryphon. There is always a quirk and now it is a hangup on light throttle. It jerks when I am light on the pedal and hangs at 1200ish then goes again causing a jack rabbit jerk with is not normal. The custom 87 had some strange shifts and made me nervous since I couldn't tell how the A/F mixture was. And in reverse, twice I've had a grabbing sensation since loading the tow tune last week. Any ideas? I'm getting sick of these issues and tempted to find an SCT device
Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Have you tried to load the tune then disconnect the battery yet?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Sometimes that hangup happens in the non stock tunes just because a portion of the throttle tolerance has been removed. Also, I run a custom tow tune almost exclusively because it improves my mileage compared to my performance tune in city stop and go settings. When I plan on driving more than 50 miles I switch to my performance tune because it is better for highway conditions and mileage.
Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Whopper

I did try that 88, thanks for the suggestion though!

Thanks Longshot, is there a way that I can fix it? Or do I need a custom tow tune?
Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Forum Predator

One thing that you can do is give the truck a little bit of gas to help it decide on what gear it wants to be in. What is happening is that at part throttle the PCM tells the truck to shift at specific mph marks. If you are creeping along when you reach that speed the transmission will still shift but because you are hanging around the upshift/downshift peak it gives you the results you noted. When I approach the shift points I will throttle up enough to get the truck over the point with a few mph to spare before I go back to my feather pedal. I then hold that slightly faster speed and not drop back down into the inter-shift condition range.

I should also add that my custom tow tune is not really intended for towing. I had tailored it based off of a tow tune for off road conditions before I sent off the info to have it made. It just happened to be more stop/go traffic friendly while getting better mileage so I have stuck with it. Now when I go on trips that involve going faster than 60ish with heavier pedal I switch to the performance because it drinks fuel pretty quick at highway speeds.
Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Whopper

I do that exact same thing, but the problem where I see it is from a crawl or stop and I can't get on the gas in these situations. It's usually when I am inching up in traffic waiting to take a turn and when I gas it to go, it does that which drives me nuts. Most of the time, it drives like a dream. Highway, mine reads 20-23 mpg at 60-65
Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Forum Predator

Here is a tip. In the display, add the Comm Gear PID to what you watch. This is commanded gear. By your description it sounds like it is happening just before and at the 1-2 shift which is where this issue is most common.
Old Wed, November 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

It almost sounds as if there's something amiss in the torque calculations of the canned tune in the lower rpm's.......

A custom tow tune might be able to take that variable out of the equation.....

I've seen this before a couple of times myself when I was running the canned tow tune.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, November 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Whopper

Thanks longshot, I'll try that too. 88, I agree because other than that it's nearly perfect. The shifting is fantastic with the custom settings I entered. Nice firm shifts, just that periodic annoying quirk

Last edited by Longshot270; Wed, November 16th, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: We're talking 'bout transmission movements, not bowel movements. lol
Old Wed, November 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM
truck # 3

60DRB is on a distinguished road

nice firm whats??????