Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, November 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You'll be in great shape. The Level 2 tow tune is really a great "daily driving" tune and it was the only one of the canned tunes I ever used before getting custom tunes.

One person I know (a moderator on F150online, named "Bluejay" - I'm over there too), used his Edge this way too, before getting custom tunes from Bill. He said he thought the Level 2 tune sort of "lost power", at higher RPMs since it was optimized for towing. He preferred the Level 3 tune with high octane gas. I never noticed that trait at all. To me, it just felt strong all the way.

By the way, the tow tune is safe to use at any time, but IF you tow, that is the ONLY tune you should use. DO NOT use the Level 3 tune for towing. The tow tune will actually help things run slightly cooler, due to the slightly richer mixture in open loop operation.

- Jack
Old Sat, November 19th, 2011, 07:00 AM
truck # 3

60DRB is on a distinguished road

Just another user here chiming in. My truck has the towing package (xmsn cooler) and I'm at a fairly low altitude (less than 500' MSL), in south AL. My xmsn temp runs 140-160 most of the time. It was as high as 190 when towing a 4K lb trailor this summer, but only occational steep hills around here. I'm another #2 canned tune user until I get my modification "stuff" stockpiled. Then I'll order custom tunes and install the parts when the tunes are ready.