Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip The Power Hungry Performance Hydra Multi-Position Chip is the industry standard for the 7.3L!

Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip provides Ford owners with a feature packed,
high quality, and low cost alternative to other existing modules on the market today.

Old Wed, December 16th, 2020, 10:34 PM
Whopper Junior

Tempestv is on a distinguished road
Default Hydra seems to be stuck in a single tune?

I have a 2001 f350. I recently upgraded my injectors to 205cc/30% hybrids, and my turbo to a t4. Along with that, I added a hydra with custom tunes to run the hybrid injectors. The truck runs reasonably well, but changing tunes on the chip doesn't seem to really do anything. Going from the heavy towing tune to the race tune doesn't seem to make any difference on power. The quiet mode doesn't change the sound level. I had the tuner adjust the tunes, and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
The truck runs reasonably well, and I'm under the impression that it wouldn't run at all with the hybrid injectors and without the custom tunes, so the chip must be doing something? Is it possible for the chip to be stuck in a single tune despite the controler showing different numbers?
Old Thu, December 17th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

PHP Ward is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I think we just spoke on the phone. It could be an issue with the chip itself; that's not out of the realm of possibility, but it could also be a contact to PCM issue.

Can you send me some pictures (front and back) of the PCM contacts and pics of the Hydra chip (front and back)?

You can send them to me at Ward@phptune.com

Thanks!
-Ward
Old Thu, December 17th, 2020, 03:45 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
I'm under the impression that it wouldn't run at all with the hybrid injectors and without the custom tunes,
This won't help your issue and I believe that Ward will have you covered, but the engine will run pretty reasonably with just about any aftermarket/high performance injector on the stock calibration.

Besides the uncontrollable on/off switch of going from idle to chirping tires by just barely touching the accelerator pedal (one of the main reasons for needing custom tuning with "bigger" injectors especially with a 99-up vehicle), the pickup will settle into a decent idle and run and drive with the stock tune with anything up to at least a 200% nozzle. It's FAR from optimal but it will still run and drive.