Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon, August 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Whopper

dnkrm is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny Issues

Hey, I have a 2006 F150 4x4 5.4 liter, 40K miles, hex code TEJF4E5. I added an edge programmer at the beginning of March. Immediately I was super impressed with the power and shifting. I sent it off to be upgraded to a gryphon in March with custom tunes. I run a 89 performance tune and I have been pretty happy with the power, not much different than the canned tune, but I have never been really happy with the shifting. It seems to have the same symptoms Lars talked about earlier where the torque converter would lock up either too early or too late and I would get some strange shifting when passing. I did pm Bill about it on 7/10 and I never heard back but I know they are super busy.

Anyway, today things have gone down hill fast. I had not driven the truck much lately, we took it to the lake saturday and I thought it was acting up a little. Then today it was very strange, when I slow down for a corner it won't shift down correctly, as I go around the corner and attempt to accelerate it feels like a manual transmission in a high gear, if I get on the gas it will finally kick down hard and then continue shifting hard. When I have the cruise on and am pulling a hill the cruise will be set at 66 and it will slow down to as much as 62 and as I crest the hill it will overshoot to 72, all while never shifting, I have never had that before.

So, when I got home I switched it back to stock and went for a quick spin, the shifting at highway speed was back to normal, no 3-4 shift problems and the torque converter seemed normal, but I still had the downshifting problem where it feels like a manual in a higher gear after slowing for a corner. Any ideas what the problem is? thanks