Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, February 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Double Whopper

AgentOrange is on a distinguished road
Default My cheap E-Fan mod

I have been thinking of a way to put an electric fan on my truck for a couple of weeks now, but have been hampered by the removal of the stock fan. Well, I finally got that thing to loosen up last weekend, so I got to put my idea to the test.
I had an old e-fan laying around that I used on my old mud truck ('78 Bronco w/ 39.5 Swampers). I figured if it can cool off a 460 big block, why not the 5.4L...
I think I bought the fan from Summit Racing, it's a 16" metal blade driven by an electric motor. It had the highest CFM rating, which is why I bought it for the big block. The problem is it doesn't have a shroud, and I didn't want to mount it directly to the radiator...so I decided to mount it to the stock F150fan shroud.
To do this, I used a piece of 24" square sheet metal and cut it to use as a reducer. The fan is wired to a relay that is activated by a thermostatic switch or by the A/C.
I've attached a few pics so you guys can check it out, there's a few more of it installed in My Albums.
It has worked very well in the short time it's been on there. The temperature guage reads the same as it did with the stock fan. I'll have to wait and see what happens during the summer with the A/C full blast...it get's pretty hot here in Florida.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6038.jpg (38.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6036.jpg (62.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6039.jpg (32.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6042.jpg (29.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6044.jpg (46.5 KB, 29 views)

2005 F150 King Ranch SCrew 4x4
Flowmaster SIDO exhaust
DIY Ram/CAI
Electric Fan
Leveled w/ 20" wheels
3.73 LS

Last edited by AgentOrange; Wed, February 11th, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old Tue, February 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Before I look carefully at your pictures, I'm going to jump in with some advice. Use your Gryphon, now that you have one, to monitor your Cylinder Head Temperature. The Coolant Temperature is not really monitored at all but is inferred from the CHT. The temperature gauge on the dash is really not worth a whole lot, but WILL warn you if the system is about to go into limp home mode by suddenly spiking to full hot.

I monitor my CHT and find that here in Arizona it tends to stay in the 210 degree range during summer driving. If I pull a trailer up a long hill in the low desert, I've seen it get as high as 214 degrees.

Possibly, these numbers will help you decide if your E-fan mod is doing what you want.

Now, I'm going to study what you did! Thanks for posting it!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, February 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Use your Gryphon, now that you have one, to monitor your Cylinder Head Temperature.
- Jack
I wish I had a Gryphon...waiting on my tax refund.
I'm trying to get everything done before I get it.
Once I do, I'll definitely take your advice.

BTW, with the E-Fan and the CAI mod I made, I'm gettin' 14 mpg. Before them I was averaging 10-12 mpg.

Flowmaster SIDO exhaust
DIY Ram/CAI
Electric Fan
Leveled w/ 20" wheels
3.73 LS
Old Tue, February 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I wish I had a Gryphon...waiting on my tax refund.
I'm trying to get everything done before I get it.
Once I do, I'll definitely take your advice.

BTW, with the E-Fan and the CAI mod I made, I'm gettin' 14 mpg. Before them I was averaging 10-12 mpg.
Holy cow! That's a whopping big increase in economy!

Those are great pictures and a nice bit of engineering/fabrication, in my opinion. One in your Gallery showed me how you connected the metal "reducing" shroud to the stock one - I'm glad you posted that one, because it was the only question I really had.

I suspect you and I are seeing similar temperatures on the road. As I've said, the CHT stays VERY stable, once the engine warms up. And, I can't see any reason at all to monitor Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) since it is just a "shadow" of the CHT. If you want to have heart failure though, monitor your oil temperature when the engine is under load! Oil temperature climbs rapidly under high RPM load conditions and quickly moves from near the CHT value to around 240+ degrees! I think the oil is doing a lot to dissipate engine heat.

Nice job too wiring the fan to the A/C or to temperature as seen by a thermostat.

All in all, a great mod! Nice post, AgentOrange! :ford boob girl smal

- Jack
Old Tue, February 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Double Whopper

Thanks Jack.

The "coolest" part of these "mods" is the fact that they look stock, they're cheap, and they function just like the more expensive add-ons, plus, if, for whatever reason the mod does not work, they are easily returned to stock form.

FYI for anyone that removes the stock fan...store it in the vertical postion. If you lay it flat, the silicone fluid in the clutch assembly will run out into the fan drive bearing and ruin the fan (from Haynes repair manual).

Flowmaster SIDO exhaust
DIY Ram/CAI
Electric Fan
Leveled w/ 20" wheels
3.73 LS
Old Wed, February 11th, 2009, 12:02 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default sold on twins

My work truck(03 gmc 2500hd) was actually experiencing over heating issues 3 years ago while on a job where the only power was coming from the invertor in it. So the remedy our truck service company came up with was bigger altenator and the robbed the electric fans and shroud out of wrecked tahoe of the same year. Funny wired right into the harness. The tech had said most vehicles these days were never meant idle more than a half hour in hot temps. With that in mind the electric fans are a great idea for a lot of trucks mfg after 2000(rpms are lower). He also said that the dual fans act together in a 2 stage operation. But the most important point that calmed the boss down was this: incase one failed there was a back up. I know belts break too! Just food for thought.

Lars
Old Wed, February 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Double Whopper

Buckeyes903 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
He also said that the dual fans act together in a 2 stage operation. But the most important point that calmed the boss down was this: incase one failed there was a back up. I know belts break too! Just food for thought.

Lars
I noticed my g/f's 2002 Dakota has both a clutch fan and an electric fan, now I know why, or atleast have a reason for it.
Old Wed, February 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Some engineer @ dodge was probably thinking for once. Wonder if he got a bonus? Just kidding. Don't know why EFI vehicles run lower rpm's? Or why some of the clutches do not kick in until 1000 to 1200 rpm's? The mechanic demonstrated this on a ford f150 and my gmc 2500hd, he had set up clamp to stop it with a load gauge. Sure enough they both were free spinning. Got the gmc to 1100 rpm's and the load increased. The ford was at about 1050 rpm's.

-Lars
Old Wed, February 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Double Whopper

Buckeyes903 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Some engineer @ dodge was probably thinking for once.
-Lars
Yeah, they probably finally got one good engineer and all the others only let him change the fan setup.
Old Wed, February 11th, 2009, 11:00 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

That dodge idea is not a bad one, especially if your putzing around or idling alot. On the economy side and performance end, kind of putting extra load on front end of that motor? If everything decided to operate at once. AC, fan clutch, and extra load on alternator. In the gmc clutch fan went bye-bye and got 2mpg more. Yehaw went from 6 to 8 in town and 7 to 10 on highway on that 6.0. That truck only weighs in at 10500! All the time! Wish boss would pay for a tuner on this truck.

-Lars