Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, April 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Whopper Junior

asphalt-cowboy is on a distinguished road
Default Ordered gryphon and have some Q's

I got three custom tunes 87 performance, 89 tow, 89 performance. Then I read on here about a hex code needed to get the custome tunes. so my question is. 1. will my gryphon come with the tunes I ordered on it or will i have to download the tunes when i get the hex code?
2. Do these tunes have much of a difference between them?
3. Are these three tunes the only tunes it will have or will it have the stock or canned tunes on it also.
4. Does the gryphon come with a pod or do you have to order it seprate, becuase i didnt see it on the order form.
5. I opted to not get the tranny tune because i was told it doesnt make much difference. is that a good choice?

sorry for all the questions I guess i should have asked before I ordered. thanks for all the help
Old Sat, April 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt-cowboy View Post
I got three custom tunes 87 performance, 89 tow, 89 performance. Then I read on here about a hex code needed to get the custome tunes. so my question is. Which Gryphon did you get?
1. will my gryphon come with the tunes I ordered on it or will i have to download the tunes when i get the hex code? No, you will have to provide your hex code in order for tunes to be written.
2. Do these tunes have much of a difference between them? the 87 and 89 performance tunes are going to be fairly close, I stayed with 2 87 tunes and I am happy with them
3. Are these three tunes the only tunes it will have or will it have the stock or canned tunes on it also. If you just asked for the 3 tunes, you will just get the 3 tunes. If you ordered a CS or a CTS, they can hold more tunes, up to 20, but you need to tell Bill to put them all on there
4. Does the gryphon come with a pod or do you have to order it seprate, becuase i didnt see it on the order form. The CS and CTS do not come with a pod, but they are available. I actually ordered mine from amazon for $30 almost a year ago, saved me $10, but it's up to you where you get it. PHP sells them for $40, but they will include that in the box with the Gryphon so it will be basically free shipping I believe, but ask Corey to be sure.
5. I opted to not get the tranny tune because i was told it doesnt make much difference. is that a good choice? I haven't used mine, and I believe that I took mine off as well, but it does have some value. Now that I think of it, I would have kept the tranny tune for diagnostic purposes just in case a tune makes my truck throw a code.

sorry for all the questions I guess i should have asked before I ordered. thanks for all the help That is why the forum is here, feel free to keep asking!
Answers in Blue
Old Sat, April 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the reply ticopowell. I just got the regular gryphon with the three tunes. So it will come with the dash pod? And the only other question is when I get my gryphon will I be able to use the canned tunes until I get my custome tunes? Then when I download the custome tunes it will erase the canned tunes is that correct?
Thanks for the help
Old Sat, April 9th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt-cowboy View Post
Thanks for the reply ticopowell. I just got the regular gryphon with the three tunes. So it will come with the dash pod? And the only other question is when I get my gryphon will I be able to use the canned tunes until I get my custome tunes? Then when I download the custome tunes it will erase the canned tunes is that correct?
Thanks for the help
Yup, they will be erased, and being you have your year truck, 04-08, I honestly couldnt tell ya. I got my gryphon for an 01 then I had it upgraded so I had to buy my own pod for my new truck, but it came with one for my old one. Call php on monday and ask.
Old Sat, April 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

If I were you I would change the 89 octane performance to a 91 performance...if you want two performance tunes. Because of how close together the ratings are there will not be any noticeable difference.
Old Sun, April 10th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
If I were you I would change the 89 octane performance to a 91 performance...if you want two performance tunes. Because of how close together the ratings are there will not be any noticeable difference.
I agree with this too.
Old Sun, April 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Whopper Junior

thanks guys if I keep the 89 and change the 87 performance to a tranny tune can I run 87 octane in the 89 performance setting? The only reason I dont want to change to a 91 octane is because 91 is not as available around here, their are some stations that carry it but its always more expensive. And another question when I get my gryphon will I be able to run the canned tunes until I get my custome tunes? Thanks for all the help this is a great forum
Old Sun, April 10th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

You cannot run lower octane than the tune. It has to do with fuel stability properties of the higher grades.

If you dont really want a 91 performance just stick with an 87 performance tune because there will not be a worthwhile difference between an 87 and 89 performance tune...you could also bump the timing up on an 87 performance tune if you are running 89 in the tank.

Yes, you can run the canned tune until the custom tunes come in.