Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Whopper

my67rt is on a distinguished road

My dealer told me that it was just the smell of the cats breakin in, and it will eventually go away once they get "Tuned" to the exhaust temperatures. My truck did it for a little while and now it has stopped. Just my two cents.
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
So the sulfer content is all dependent on which refinery and where they are getting the oil from to be processed. Not to argue with Jack but sulfer is regulated in diesel so it must be too in gas. Probably not as much in gas.

Lars
Ouch! I'd forgotten about that! I DO think you're right about it being regulated, probably to prevent formation of sulfuric acid compounds, which ARE dangerous. And, I see from Wikipedia that some people can have deadly allergic reactions to it. However, we all know from chemistry lab days that it takes very little sulfur dioxide to make a stink bomb and you certainly smell it around geysers, volcanoes and even some hot springs.

I imagine our noses are very sensitive to even minute amounts of that compound - amounts that are below any regulated limit.

Thanks for keeping me humble and reminding me I don't know everything, Lars!

- Jack
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Ouch! I'd forgotten about that! I DO think you're right about it being regulated, probably to prevent formation of sulfuric acid compounds, which ARE dangerous. And, I see from Wikipedia that some people can have deadly allergic reactions to it. However, we all know from chemistry lab days that it takes very little sulfur dioxide to make a stink bomb and you certainly smell it around geysers, volcanoes and even some hot springs.

I imagine our noses are very sensitive to even minute amounts of that compound - amounts that are below any regulated limit.

Thanks for keeping me humble and reminding me I don't know everything, Lars!

- Jack
Oh Jack, I am not trying to humble you. I just had a flash back to the early 90's when they started to make diesel "dryer". They took out a lot more of the lubrication of the fuel by doing this and a lot of those motors fell prone to failure.

Does sulfur create the same compounds when it burns regardless if it is spark ignition(gas) or compression ignition(diesel)?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road

Yeah the diesel pumps around here all say...(This diesel fuel is "ultra low sulfer highway diesel" or something like that...Our 07 likes it, but our 99 seemed to run better on the "dirty" stuff...Whats up with that lol?
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 12:03 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplummer87 View Post
Yeah the diesel pumps around here all say...(This diesel fuel is "ultra low sulfer highway diesel" or something like that...Our 07 likes it, but our 99 seemed to run better on the "dirty" stuff...Whats up with that lol?
DJ Soutthpaw may have a better grasp on this. But if you would like to compare it to leaded and unleaded gas. Here it goes: when unleaded hit the market in the 70's a lot of cars from then and on back started to experience head problems(valve seats and valves) due to overheating. Well they took away the lead that acted as a lubricant for those parts. So maybe sulfur and some of the other chemicals due to the reduction of them the same thing is happening in diesels. Have you noticed in the last 3 years they want diesels to burn hotter to get rid of more of the byproduct junk. That's on the exhaust end.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Mon, April 27th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Whopper

08F150 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67rt View Post
My dealer told me that it was just the smell of the cats breakin in, and it will eventually go away once they get "Tuned" to the exhaust temperatures. My truck did it for a little while and now it has stopped. Just my two cents.
My truck has been doing it since new but I have noticed its not as bad as it was. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
DJ Soutthpaw may have a better grasp on this. But if you would like to compare it to leaded and unleaded gas. Here it goes: when unleaded hit the market in the 70's a lot of cars from then and on back started to experience head problems(valve seats and valves) due to overheating. Well they took away the lead that acted as a lubricant for those parts. So maybe sulfur and some of the other chemicals due to the reduction of them the same thing is happening in diesels. Have you noticed in the last 3 years they want diesels to burn hotter to get rid of more of the byproduct junk. That's on the exhaust end.
This "burning hotter" is kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. At least in gassers, hotter burning causes nitrogen, which is normally pretty inert, to combine with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide, a toxic pollutant. I wonder if it does the same in diesels.

The EGR system in gassers was developed to cool the combustion process slightly to reduce formation of this gas. (Of course it also cuts power).

Oh, your earlier question Lars - I can't imagine why a diesel would not produce some sulfur dioxide if sulfur was present in the fuel.

- Jack
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
This "burning hotter" is kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. At least in gassers, hotter burning causes nitrogen, which is normally pretty inert, to combine with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide, a toxic pollutant. I wonder if it does the same in diesels.

The EGR system in gassers was developed to cool the combustion process slightly to reduce formation of this gas. (Of course it also cuts power).

Oh, your earlier question Lars - I can't imagine why a diesel would not produce some sulfur dioxide if sulfur was present in the fuel.

- Jack
But why are the new diesels not able to run (at least not supposed to) run on the older style diesel? I ask because I live in El Paso TX which is a bridge away from juarez mexico. Anyway, last summer when diesel was like 4 bucks, many people were going to Juarez to fill up their trucks because diesel was only 2.19, and when you are filling a 100 gallons (nearly %50 cheaper) thats a lot of money. However, only guys with older trucks were doing this...we couldnt do this in our 06/07 whatever it is cummings...it really screwed up the newer trucks...whats up with that? What was so different.
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Good question! Maybe cleatus12r or southpaw could jump in here. I know next to nothing about diesels (except that they use glow plugs for starting).

When I was a kid, I had a model airplane engine that was a "true" diesel - no glow plug! That thing was super hard to start. I seem to remember that it would also run backwards at times.

- Jack
Old Wed, April 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

yeah.....MY 08 is a stinky ***** too . I've wondered if it is my Magnaflo exhaust but don't know?
I had the exhaust installed on day 1 at the dealer when the truck was brand new......so I never got to smell the stock system!

Oh well.......you can't make good power without stinking
Custom tunes