Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

Either way, I can swap a 195 back in, it's simple enough. I guess some reasoning to this is that you used to be able to buy chips years ago designed for use with 180 stats. I believe they allowed for more aggressive timing, and hence, better performance. Of course, they also were programmed for such a change and I imagine made all other required adjustments accordingly.

I guess the other question that I now have is how does the temp. change affect under hood temps, and A/F ratios vs. the increased efficiency of the engine with CAI and exhaust mods. Does the lower temps, and possible richer mixture offset the possible leaning effects of the other mods? Also, how are the spark plugs (heat range) now effected by operating temperature changes? How much does the PCM compensate for the CAI alone; obviously, it does compensate for it some, at least enough to not burn up the engine or trip a SES light..... These are the questions some of the master techs I asked couldn't answer, though they aren't tuners/programmers so I didn't expect them to have an exact answer, they could only say that the PCM will compensate for an increased airflow, but didn't have know as to how much.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Baconator

Well, I did a little reading online, Looks like I may be changing back to the 195. According to what I read, it appears that the 195 may be better over all for performance and efficiency. Though I will admit, it seems kinda strange cause we always used cooler stats years ago; but that was long before they were putting computers in cars too.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Some of these changes on these newer vehicles really effect the outcome of the end product. Don't they?

Not old school anymore!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Baconator

Not at all like they used to be! I miss the good old days when parts were cheaper, and most of the work you could do with little knowledge or specialty tools.