Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > 6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming

6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming Power Hungry Performance 6.0L FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) programming has been
the industry standard for in FICM modification almost 10 years.

If you have questions or would like more information about the benefits, please post here.

Old Tue, August 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Whopper Junior

Sonoman 6.0 is on a distinguished road
Default PCM with VXAM7A4

In my pursuit of (happiness) LOL, to update from VXAPN2N and have FICM and PCM reprogrammed to better strategy I have acquired a Used PCM out of a 2003 with Cal id VXAM7A4. I searched high and low to see if the VXAM7A4 had any feedback and there is only one mention in the 6.0 section without comments. I also acquired a used FICM 4 pin (from a 2004) that will get updated due to 36 volts running. My Original FICM is a 7 pin. One of them is going as a core today since I ordered an updated one and it will be here around noonish.

Can any of the 6.0 experts, Bill Included comment on this cal and if it in the preferred list? My plan is to get updated FICM (Swamps) then send Bill a PCM and the updated FICM for rollback. Or if I purchased a Gryphon would that be a better Route to get rolled back? Suggestions are welcome.

I have searched and researched attempting to catch up to the proper and easiest way to complete this. There is a lot of Info here, it just a little confusing for us that haven't followed from the beginning.

Truck is 2003 6.0 FX 4 (Black) build date march 2003. Stock 157K except for High Idle Mod, EGT, Trans temp and boost gauges. Do have a Predator with R 14 but haven't used it much lately.

Thanks Guys, hope this makes since as I'm trying to do this at work.....

Last edited by Sonoman 6.0; Tue, August 23rd, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old Tue, August 23rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

VXAM7A4 (TEC0) is a few revisions prior to the VXAM7N2 (TEC3) we normally use as a rollback strategy and is a much earlier revision of the VXAP2N2 (TEC7) strategy you have now. It is a 49 State emissions program and runs really well. The only concern with that strategy is that the related TCM strategy (TQAR1A3) had some undesirable shifting characteristics and the TQAS0NZ strategy (from TEC3) would be a better choice. I don't recall offhand what the issue was with the shifting, but a few folks complained about it and we ended up going forward to the TEC3 based stuff as it offered the same performance along with better shifting.

If you're planning on purchasing an original Gryphon (NON-CS or CTS), there won't be any problem handling a rollback/FICM program through the device. If you're looking at the CS or CTS, then you'll need to either send us the controllers or we can send you one of the remote devices. It's your choice.

For the moment, I'd try running the TEC0 computer just to get a feel for how it operates. You might find that it works well for you and won't need to change the strategy.

Let me know if we can help answer any other questions.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, August 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Whopper Junior

Sonoman 6.0 is on a distinguished road

Well dang Bill, Can't get much faster reply or better than from the boss. I sort feel special.

I am running the VXAM7A4 (TEC0) and so far I like what's there. I haven't seen anything I don't like yet. Just in the couple of days I've had it installed, it brings back memories or when the truck was 1st born. When I bought the Truck (Brand Spankin NEW) it developed a surge within a few weeks and the dealership struggled with determining the problem as no codes were thrown and it was very inconsistent. After tossing multiple parts and newer cals, then finally the Black box recording, Ford tech support suggested replacing the vgt solenoid, which solved the problem. I never really was able to truly enjoy the Original Tuning that came with the truck. The FICM arrived so it goes on tonight and I'll give the Combo a go over and decide from there.

In the mean time I'll start researching the difference between the Original Gryphon-CS-CTS and the features, functions.

Thanks again

Sonoman

Last edited by Sonoman 6.0; Tue, August 23rd, 2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling