Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Orion Reflash System for Navistar

Orion Reflash System for Navistar Power Hungry Performance is the first in the industry to provide custom tuning
for the 1998 to 2007 Navistar Medium Duty platform!

If you have any questions or would like more information on Orion, please post here.

Old Thu, July 1st, 2021, 01:48 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Default 1998 to 2007 Communications Issue Resolution

Good day, all. Just a quick update on Orion Programming for the 2004-2007 2-Box (ECM and IDM) as well as 1998 to 2003 1-Box (CEC / Diamond Logic) systems.

So we've figured out that there is a bit of a communications issue on these vehicles when running an Allison Transmission and/or ABS. Both of these modules will continue to chatter on the Data Bus when we are trying to communicate with the ECM or IDM. This ends up causing the ECM or IDM not to program correctly, and also causes an issue with modifying the Parameters.

We have a short term solution which eliminates the communications problems on these applications.
  1. If you have an Allison Trans with Electronic Shifting, you'll need to temporarily remove the "XMSN IGN FEED" fuse to disable the Transmission Control Module communications. On Rear Engine Bus applications, this will usually be located in the rear electrical panel. On normal Front Engine applications, this will be located in the main fuse/relay box. Check your Owner's Manual for the appropriate location.

On this application (2007 RE300), the TCM fuse is located in position "C1", which is the first fuse in the third column. (Columns D and E are empty.) Remove this fuse and set aside.

(click on image to enlarge)

2. If you have ABS (almost all applications do), you'll need to temporarily remove the "IGN FEED ABS" or "IGN FEED AIR ABS" fuse to disable the ABS Module communications. On school bus applications, this will usually be located in the electrical panel on the driver's side of the bus below the driver's window. On truck applications, this is usually below the dash on the driver's side.

On this application (2007 RE300), it's the block located in the lower left corner of the electrical panel with a sticker that says "5035" on it. The ABS fuse is located in position "F27" which is in the upper left corner of the fuse block. Remove this fuse and set aside.

With these removed, you can use the Orion Reflash System normally to Identify, Read, Reflash, and Modify the ECM and IDM (where applicable).

We appreciate everyone's understanding in regards to this procedure. We had originally hoped that there would be a way to handle this without resorting to disabling the systems for programming, but even the Navistar equipment requires that these systems be disabled for programming so I don't think there is going to be any type of software-based solution. Of course, if we are able to get this figured out, this will be rolled into a later software release.

We hope this is helpful to folks that have been waiting for support for the 2004-2007 vehicle applications. This will also help on the rare occasion that the earlier systems should happen to run into a communications issue. We're excited to be able to get this going and look forward to working with you on improving the performance and economy of your vehicles.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!

Last edited by Power Hungry; Mon, September 13th, 2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added information for 1998 to 2003 vehicles.
Old Wed, July 14th, 2021, 08:15 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Grin A quick update on Comms

Good morning, all!

We've recently released the Orion Reflash kits and they have been working really well on the 1998-2004 CEC (Single Box) applications. However, we've been having some communications issues with the 2004-2007 2-Box (ECM and IDM) applications relating to the TCM and ABS modules clobbering the messages. To overcome this, we came up with (what we thought was) a short term solution to the issue by removing the fuses for the TCM and ABS modules.

However, I discovered something yesterday that I had apparently overlooked before when using Navistar's NavKal software. They actually request that you to disable the Transmission (TCM), ABS, Instrument Cluster (IC), GPS, and other modules before reflashing the ECM or IDM. Either that, or flash the module on the bench. This warning below is directly from their software:

In taking a close look at the communications, there seems to be an issue with bus arbitration (which module has priority to speak), and the Test Tool (programmer, datalogger, etc.) seems to keep getting clobbered.

So at this point, in order to prevent any communications difficulties, we're going to follow the brute-force format used by Navistar and require the TCM, ABS, and possibly GPS fuses to be disconnected during a programming session. We don't have a GPS in our vehicle so I don't have a way to validate the necessity for disabling that system, but the IC, Stand Alone Clock (SART), or Body Controller (BCM) don't seem to be an issue at this time.

With that said, we will do what we can to try to help identify the locations of the necessary fuses that need to be removed, but with so many vehicle options (FE, RE, CE, Truck, etc.) it is a difficult process to undertake. It's especially difficult as Navistar is not very forthcoming with technical information or fuse panel diagrams.

So what I'm asking is: If anyone has a specific vehicle with clearly labelled fuse panels and would like to provide some High-Res images of the Engine Circuit Panel (which usually has the TCM fuse), Body Panel (which usually has the ABS fuse), or even an Owner's Manual Diagram, please let me know! You can PM me the images or e-mail them to me. (PM me for direct e-mail) We will take everything we can get to help build a database of fuse panels and specific fuse locations for the TCM, ABS, and other modules.

Thank you all for your help!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!

Tags
abs, dt466, fuse, international, orion, programming, re300, reflash, tcm