Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Sat, May 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Whopper Junior

KMorgan is on a distinguished road
Default 97 F150 SC 4X4 Engine Swap?

I imagine this will be a broad question. I have a 97 F150 Supercab 4X4 with a 4.6L engine and manual transmission. The engine blew at 105K miles and considering a engine swap. The truck is in great condition and otherwise mechanically sound, I can't justify paying 25K+ for a new truck. I have been thinking about putting in a 5.4L but reading a lot of threads here and elsewhere, the 5.4L will not give me a considerable performance over the 4.6L. The truck is used mainly for hauling hay and pulling a horse trailer (trailer+load= about 4000lbs).
So I guess my question is what is my best engine option for the least complicated engine swap? Going from a 2V to a 3V will not be an option due to the complexity. Also what tuning will help for better performance? Thanks!!
Old Sat, May 21st, 2011, 12:19 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I can't answer everything because Ive never done an engine swap... on anything... lol, but I know it is possible, and you will get more power if you swap, but yes it is not a huge amount. the reasons I see to swap is that yes you will get more power, aftermarket accessories are easier to find, and Bill can write the tuning needed for a swap, plus customize everything else about it. The negatives are yes, it will be complicated no matter what you do, it costs money, but idk if it is more than doing a 4.6, and it will take time and troubleshooting to make sure it works right.
for what you are using it for, I would bet that you would welcome the extra power that it gives you.
to answer your last question, the least complicated would be to buy a new truck, then replacing broken parts on your engine, then to replace it with a matching 4.6, then replacing it with a 5.4.
hope that clears up the mud a little bit
Old Sat, May 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I dont think going up to a 2v 5.4 would really be worth the work when you know a 4.6 that can swap right in gets the job done. That way it wont require special tuning just to get down the road. That's my $.02
Old Sat, May 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Whopper Junior

KMorgan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies...If I swap out even, I will spend the money for a re-manufactured engine. I believe the truck will last another 10+ yrs. The only hesitations I have buying a used motor is what condition the insides are in. If a used 5.4L will give me a significant increase then I would consider that over the cons of a used motor. I use a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited for pulling my trailer now and I can't feel the trailer behind me even with two 1000lbs round bales loaded. I would like to experience the same with my truck but I have to be realistic. I accept the fact and will only happen if I upgrade to a heavier duty Ford.