Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > All Other Vehicles > Motorcycles, Trikes, and Spyders

Motorcycles, Trikes, and Spyders When you need to feel the breeze on your knees, drop a gear and post it here!

Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 11:16 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Grin New Bikes in the PHP Garage!

So this weekend we decided to make some changes to the current bike lineup in our stable.

For the last several years, Angela and I have both had a Harley Ultra Classic... Hers in blue and mine in red. These bikes have been a blast and while we haven't taken any really long trips with them, we have been all over North GA with them. It's fantastic being able to enjoy something like riding motorcycles with someone you enjoy being with and that also shares that passion.

Well, as time goes on I was beginning to feel like it was time for a little change and started looking for something to replace the Harley. Not that I didn't like the bike, mind you. It's a great bike and has never given me a moment's worth of trouble out of it. The real issue is that I have some pretty significant joint problems with my knees and the Ultra is just a really heavy bike to heft around. Because of this, I found that I spent a lot more time on my Kawasaki ZX-14R because it's considerably lighter and more nimble, and ultimately easier on my knees.

Of course, the ZX-14R is a sport bike and has absolutely nothing in the way of storage or cargo capacity. Great for day trips, riding to work, and such, but not good for a weekend (or week) away. Now I didn't want to sacrifice a good touring bike like the Ultra unless I could find something that would provide me with a similar capability for long adventures. Well, as luck would have it, Kawasaki makes the perfect touring bike that is a direct counterpart to my ZX-14R... The 1400 GTR Concours. With basically the same engine as the ZX (slightly detuned), a more upright riding stance, shaft drive, and creature comforts like heated grips and adjustable windshield, this bike is right up my alley. I've always been a big fan of inline 4 engines, and this one does not disappoint! 158 HP and 100 Ft./Lbs. of torque, this thing will really scoot!

Bill's Bike (click to enlarge):

As it happens, Angela's birthday is today so she decided it would be time to treat herself to a new bike as well. She loves her Harley and it really came down to the fact that the only other bike she wanted was another Harley. She had a Triumph Tiger that was a good bike, but it just didn't suit her well and ended up not getting ridden much. I told her she could take my Harley and hers and trade them in on something new that she would like. Well wouldn't you know it? She found just the perfect bike for her! A 2020 Street Glide Special in Zephyr Blue. Now when I tell you that this thing is sexy, believe me that it's an understatement!

Angela's Bike (click to enlarge):

We ended up trading in three bikes and ended up with two, but I think these are going to last us for quite sometime. Maybe not the last bikes we'll own, but certainly will last us several years.

Also, for those Harley fans who are screaming at me for getting rid of my Ultra for a "Jap" bike, don't fret. I still have a Harley in the garage... A 2007 Soft Tail Custom. It's a great bike when I want that big-twin feel going down the road, and with the leather saddle bags I can even use it for long trips if I should desire.

We're really excited and we're already planning the next few trips once the BETA Testing is out of the way and we can take a few days off. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 01:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Looks good, Bill! I'm not a biker, but if I was, I think I'd want a Honda Goldwing. Did you consider one of those, or is that make a no-no for serious bikers?

- Jack
Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 03:48 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I have nothing against a Honda Goldwing. It's actually a beautiful bike with plenty of power and many options and creature comforts. I have a friend that has one and it's very nice. He rides with the Harley guys and nobody would ever give him grief over it. The only problem with a Goldwing is that it would put me back into a top heavy bike that would have a very serious toll on my knees. Maybe once I get my knees replaced it would be less of a problem, but for now I have to work within my physical limitations.

That, and I still like the semi-sport bike feel of the Concours.

For reference:

Goldwing - 835 Lbs. (Wet) A large amount of this weight (especially the 160 Lb. difference) is up high which raises the center of gravity. It's like riding with an extra person, but without the extra person.
Concours - 670 Lbs. (Wet) Most of this weight is very low which keeps the bike nimble and easy to handle, particularly when at a stop.
Harley Ultra Classic - 844 Lbs. (Dry) Figure another 50 Lbs. (894 Lbs. total wet) for fluids/fuel.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Tue, January 12th, 2021, 06:05 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

As much as I miss the ZX-12R I am so glad I don't have it anymore. With all of the distracted drivers on the road these days.....much too scared to ride due to others who fail to see full-size vehicles on the road let alone a motorcycle.
Old Wed, January 13th, 2021, 10:28 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
As much as I miss the ZX-12R I am so glad I don't have it anymore. With all of the distracted drivers on the road these days.....much too scared to ride due to others who fail to see full-size vehicles on the road let alone a motorcycle.
That's actually my worry too! I would feel much too "exposed".

- Jack
Old Wed, January 13th, 2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I completely get it. The nice thing about it is that when you're (WAY) out in front of traffic, the only things you really have to worry about are deer and people pulling out from side streets/driveways. Of course, you have to worry that people behind you actually stop at a light, too.

When I ride, I have to keep my head on a swivel. You get used to it thought, and it actually helps translate into driving your car. I've avoided several incidents just because I am CONSTANTLY looking around.

It sucks that you have to consider the amount of risk when riding a bike, but it's something that brings us joy and we've come to the conclusion that the risk is worth it. Maybe that's selfish, but after what happened to Wil, I'm just not going to live my life being afraid of everything. I do the best I can to anticipate stupidity and avoid any mishaps, but at the end of the day, when it's your time, it's your time.

(678) 890-1110

Old Wed, January 13th, 2021, 01:58 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I am in no way trying to tell you how to live your life.

I LOVE riding and I miss it.
Old Thu, January 14th, 2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I am in no way trying to tell you how to live your life.

I LOVE riding and I miss it.
I know you're not. I was just rationalizing things.

(678) 890-1110

Old Thu, January 14th, 2021, 09:57 AM
PHP Groupie

Nor was I. Just speaking for myself and to my own limitations.

- Jack

Tags
bikes, concours, glide, harley, hungry, kawasaki, motorcycle, power, street