Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Default Does a Tonneau cover really help gas mileage?

Like the title says, I have heard many different things from manufacturer web sites to mythbusters saying that tonneau covers will help, or wont help, gas mileage. When they claim 10% better on a web site, that makes me think that something fishy is going on, I am sure some of you agree with both. All I really know is that tonneau covers help protect the bed and whatever is inside of it from the elements(well if its a sealed cover ). Any thoughts?
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 08:26 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I like my Access one that I've got.
Gives the truck a clean look.
Don't know about the mpgs I've had it on and in the closed position from day one.
Helped to turn the bed into a massive trunk.
I'll just add it helps keep honest people honest.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road

Even if it does, its not enough to really brag about. Ive had 2 hard shells and i never thought it really improved my MPG. I guess it would be the same as driving either with your tailgate off or down, but i agree with 88racing it does make it look smoother.

40 series Flowmasters, K@N CAI, Jet MAF, Troyer Under Drive Pulleys, Stainless Works Longtube headers/Hi Flow CATS w/X-pipe, Ram Air Hood G-Force, SCT X3 programmer with custom tunes
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinoledad View Post
Even if it does, its not enough to really brag about. Ive had 2 hard shells and i never thought it really improved my MPG. I guess it would be the same as driving either with your tailgate off or down, but i agree with 88racing it does make it look smoother.
x2 I agree
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think it does, but it would take a wind tunnel test to verify this. I base my opinion on the shorter drop from the top of the cab to the surface of the cover, which should create a smaller stagnation point there.

Removing the tailgate will probably have no effect. If you ever notice a piece of paper or plastic bag in the bed of a pickup with a tailgate, you'll see it moving around, but hardly ever getting blown out. There is kind of a "whirlpool" effect in the bed that doesn't let air in or out. Removing the tailgate just moves the big stagnation point up to the rear of the cab. And, you get interference effects along the upper top sides of the bed all the way to the rear. There will still be a whirlpool, it will just occupy a smaller space.

But, a cover does eliminate the "whirlpool" that takes energy to create. This energy has to come from somewhere and it is being supplied by your motion, that is in turn using gas.

I suspect, but again it would take a wind tunnel to verify this, that a bed cap that was the same height as the cab would also reduce wind resistance and improve gas mileage somewhat. However, the added weight of the cap may counter any benefits gained from the reduced drag.

I agree with martinoledad, the gas savings in any case will be pretty small.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Closed Thread