Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Fri, August 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road
Question Biodiesel

Anyone out there running the Biodiesel. I have run a few tanks of B100 through my truck and did not notice any major differences. It seemed a like a little less power but that may just be my imgagination.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has run it regularly and if so where their any issues or plusses.

Thanks

Joe

4" Down pipe and exhaust, Wicked Wheel, Modified Exhaust Turbo Housing, Big Head Waste Gate Actuator, PML Transmission Pan, Factory Tech Valve Body, Autometer Gage Pod, PHP FU2 Chip
Old Fri, August 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Double Whopper

bamboo is on a distinguished road

I've been running bio for 3 years without any issues

Got to keep an eye on the fuel filters once you get to the bottom of the barrel if you pump um dry you can see some crud at the bottom, Just as in any tank's

Tiny bit of power loss is normal, But I dont even notice it..

And depending on where you live, Climate/temp can be a problem, any thing below 30's for too long, you have a good chance of hard starts, or no starts due to jelling of fuel

If you can make it, Its cheap, And you can feel good about 85% less pollution
Old Fri, August 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road

Thanks,

The reason I was runnign it was it made me feel better about the polution pluss it smells good. There is a local place here in the SF Bay Area that is a wholesaler but will sell it to you if you ask.

Temperature around here is not to big of an issue.

I really would like to try to make it myself but am not sure how to get started on that. There are a bunch of places on the internet that sell setups but I am not sure which ones are junk and which ones are good. I would also have to find a place that would let me take the oil.

4" Down pipe and exhaust, Wicked Wheel, Modified Exhaust Turbo Housing, Big Head Waste Gate Actuator, PML Transmission Pan, Factory Tech Valve Body, Autometer Gage Pod, PHP FU2 Chip
Old Fri, August 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM
who knows ??

Georgia Diesel is on a distinguished road

i run everything from bio to used engine oil to trans fluid....The only difference i seen with bio is it smelled like french fries cooking...never had a problem with any of them...still run alot of oil from time to time.....its getting hard to come by now people used to give oil away now they wanna sell it
crew cab 4-wheel drive 03 f-250 6 uh oleaker.4 inch staight pipe..12 years of being a diesel tech..i love helping others..feel free to call with any concerns..706-244-4955 got the truck put back to factory tuning the day she rolled of the factory line, TEC3..ficm,tcm,ecm...php is the best
Old Sat, August 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Double Whopper

bamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Diesel View Post
i run everything from bio to used engine oil to trans fluid....The only difference i seen with bio is it smelled like french fries .its getting hard to come by now people used to give oil away now they wanna sell it
the only Problem I see with running used motor oil, trans fluid or "homeblends" is they're more polluting than you might think,your better off driving a gasoline car And if your at all concerned about driving your diesel trucks in 10 years, I'd suggest you try an make them as Clean as possible
Not saying your giving us a bad name, infact diesels are meant to run on just about any thing as we all know
But keep in mind pollution is a huge problem today, And its not something to take lightly

Here in Hawaii alot of the thai and japanese resturants give away there oil still, I use to live in the Bay area, and used oil is Business now.
But talk to the people local to you, its your best bet if not, you can usually buy used cooking oil for pretty cheap
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We have several customers running waste oil, vegetable oil, and transmission fluid blends. Obviously, the first thing you want to do is make sure the oil is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! Suspended particles will ruin an injector rather quickly. A centrifuge for large particles followed by a 2 or 3 step minimum filtration process is necessary for running any sort of used oil.

One drawback to running used engine oil or trans fluid that people often overlook is the presence of synthetic oils. Synthetic oils are generally not combustible and actually end up working as a retardant to the combustion process. If you're getting waste oil from repair shops or quick oil change places, it's inevitable that you'll get synthetic in the bulk. If you're doing your own oil changes with dinosaur oil, then at least you're certain of the quality.

It'd be nice for someone to actually devise a combustibility test for used oils to determine the amount of incombustible liquid in the mix. Then you can overcome some of this problem by blending in more #2 diesel to increase the combustibility.

Also, one of the nice things about tranny fluid is the detergent factor of it. If nothing else, 8 oz. of ATF (or Marvel's Mystery Oil) per tank will often help keep things clean and lubricated. However, I wouldn't recommend using this in a 6.4L, but you shouldn't be using waste oil in a 6.4L anyway, so it's a moot point.

This is a good subject that I think would be really cool if more people got involved in.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, September 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hit n Miss

Peroni is on a distinguished road

I've only used a little of the stuff. On my way to BTS last Nov in Southern IL stopped at a BP station and sticker on pump said it was 5-8% bio. There was no straight diesel offered but price was same. Smelled a bit different, didn't notice and power/mileage changes.

Second time earlier in the year I was up north of Boston and found a place selling B20 again same price as reg diesel. This time I did notice a bit better mileage and an overall smoother engine at the slight expense of some power.

I made my fuel system B100 compatible and would run the stuff all the time but no one nearby (within 30 min drive) sells it.
the 1997 F-350 XLT 7.3L PSD 4x4 CC LB BTS E40D Manual Hubs 4.10 36000 miles when purchased 4/1/06. Mods - ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar intake, Tymar 3x4 DP to 4" ss exhaust, electric fuel, CCV mod, tru-cool 4739, Swamps 175/30% injectors, stage I Stealth pump, D66 turbo Spearco 6.0 cac, BDP live tuned tuned 442hp/860tq.
Closed Thread