Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Wed, October 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough
Default CAI idea

I've heard that many CAI's cause a drone noise and it got me thinking. The biggest difference between a CAI and stock is the bigger pipe (maybe not in all cases) and the filter covers with the snorkel. I also noticed that some cold air intakes have the filter attached to the end with a rubber clamp. Is it possible to attach the stock filter housing to the CAI pipe? If the kit's pipe isnt too long then you could fit the stock housing and plug the snorkel in or do the gotts mod intake. Then you would be getting most of the cold air benfits from the stock intake/snorkel setup with the larger CAI pipe. Might also cut out on the drone noise and you can keep the custom tune. Just an idea, might be doing something similar to a friend's colorado soon.
:nerd:
Old Wed, October 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're proposing, Longshot. The stock intake tube is really big enough once you get rid of the restrictive snorkel. As long as the intake cross section area is at least equal to the throttle body area, you should be getting improved breathing.

However, take pictures and show us what you do. We'll be happy to poke holes in it and critique you to death! Hope you understand I'm joking a bit - we really don't seem to do that sort of thing here.

I think MY problem may be I don't understand the commercial CAI setup you are talking about.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, October 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Forum Predator

Im talking about for the people that have Bill's custom tune and dont like the CAI, instead of taking the entire CAI out, they switch filters/housing. The tune is set for the specific readings from the specific dimensions of the aftermarket intake tube. If the dimensions change from one to another, then the tune needs to be adjusted. But everything ahead of the sensor doesn't matter much, that is why the sensor is there to monitor how much air comes through. I played around with a friend's vortec a few years ago and when he didn't have the cover on it made sound, put the cover on and no problem.

As for connecting the two, I know that home depot and lowes have this funny looking pvc adapter for different sized pipes. Im pretty sure the picture has a 3-4in adapter.

made these pics really quick so criticize the idea not the art. lol

Yes I do see now that the aftermarket intake tubes are too long, but I know people that threw away their intake because they didn't like them . I would have cut it down to fit. Just cant cut past the sensor housing part.

In theory, you get the good parts of the snorkel and big filter with the better, more aerodynamic pipe and sensor.

I look down the pipe that has the MAF sensor and think "dang that is not very smooth" and I look at the cold air intake and think "dang thats not very cold" I have found that there was up to 20 degrees(F) difference between the cold air intake and snorkel. Mostly when in the city, highway wasnt as bad but I know many people use f150's as their commuter vehicle to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake.jpg (44.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Longshot270; Fri, July 15th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old Wed, October 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Or there is this: part #20502

http://images.google.com/images?q=tr...SO-8859-1&sa=2

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, October 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Forum Predator

Dang , I had never heard of or seen that until just now.
At least I know it wasnt a crazy idea.
...hmmm, now if I could just make it cheaper. LOL
Old Wed, October 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I think most of the cost is derived from the air box adapter piece.
Here's another link:http://www.goairfilters.com/search_r...ion=Air+Intake
Yah they are spendy! They have gone up from $169 when I looked at them 2 years ago.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, October 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Forum Predator

Wow, those guys are really lucky I dont see a big enough profit to make it worth while. I think it would be possible to make something similar for a lower price, just costs too much to start. I could sell Bill's programmers pretty good over here if it was my job, but not so sure about something like these intakes. lol oh well.