Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, February 18th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Whopper

ballisticmike is on a distinguished road
Default e-fan owners: whats a good target coolant temp?

whats a good target temp when having an e-fan? i also have a gryphon programmer which shows me coolant temp. My coolant range right now is between about 190 to 205 when i'm on the highway, depending if i'm going uphill or downhill. i guess average is about 200 degrees maybe.

Should i make my efan power on sooner so that my max temp will be closer to 190-200 maybe? I have several temp settings on my DC Controls temp controller i can choose.. i think i set it at 194 which apparently is the thermostat range.
Old Fri, February 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticmike View Post
whats a good target temp when having an e-fan? i also have a gryphon programmer which shows me coolant temp. My coolant range right now is between about 190 to 205 when i'm on the highway, depending if i'm going uphill or downhill. i guess average is about 200 degrees maybe.

Should i make my efan power on sooner so that my max temp will be closer to 190-200 maybe? I have several temp settings on my DC Controls temp controller i can choose.. i think i set it at 194 which apparently is the thermostat range.
I personally think the coolant temperature should remain in the 200-210 range. The thermostat starts to open at 195, and will be fully open shortly thereafter. The stabilized temperature is controlled by your overall cooling system and the engine load. It SHOULD be above 200 to give you efficient engine operation. With a good pressure seal and 50-50 antifreeze, you won't boil below 250 degrees.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, February 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Whopper

ballisticmike is on a distinguished road

okay thanks. i guess i'll just leave it where its set. Actually i am usually about 200-210 city driving. Last week i did a hyway trip to a ski resort, and only going down long mountain inclines in below freezing temps the temp dipped under 195.
Old Fri, February 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Double Whopper

408F150 is on a distinguished road

I've had good results with the fan set to turn on when the CHT is around 210*, which I think is equal to the fluid being around 196*? You probably want to set it up so comes on right at the temp where the coolant normally sits. My engine runs at exactly 210* all day long unless towing or traffic, which is why I set my fan to come on only at 210* since thats when the engine's self cooling systems need help.