Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, April 23rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Whopper

BeachSled is on a distinguished road
Default Major Service @ Dealer

I took my truck in for it's 100,000km service. Had the tranny fluid and filter done, coolant, ect. And they asked If I wanted a major tune up. Which included a MAF cleaning, new computer flash, motor vac to clean the plugs so they can be removed easier, and new plugs. But they would only do it if it was needed.

Found out that 7 of the 8 plugs broke and needed a extra 2 hrs of labor to dig them out. The plugs and labor cost $527.

My question is, is this normal for a 06 5.4L ? Would different plugs end up with the same problem ?

But in the end, after paying a $1400 service bill the truck runs and shifts better then it ever did when I got it 6 mo. ago with 80,000km on it.

I can't wait for my new CS to show up, add my CAI and custom tunes.

A truck with this may km's on it and it still feels new. I am very pleased with it so far. Does anyone think I will have any isues with the programer and having so many km's on the truck??

Oh yeah, this is my first post. Hi !
Old Sat, April 24th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I cant answer all of your questions, but Welcome to the forum, and ill see which I can answer.

Quote:
My question is, is this normal for a 06 5.4L ?
As far as i know, yes it is semi-normal. Because of a bad design of the top of the engine they are hard to get to, but you have 100,000 km, which is about 60,000 miles if im guessing right, then no that is low miles for plugs to be breaking.

Quote:
Would different plugs end up with the same problem ?
Most likely, make sure you put loctite on them and it wont happen again! haha jk, actually they should have a little anti-sieze compound on them if you do it right as far as i know.

Quote:
Does anyone think I will have any isues with the programer and having so many km's on the truck??
I'll answer it this way, my 01 F-150 that I used to drive had about 140000 MILES on it, or about 225000 Km, and I never had any problems with the Gryphon. I am pretty sure that you will see a pretty good improvement again when you put the CS in there! and if you dont notice much right away, you will notice when you get the custom tunes in!

Well again I am not the knowledge source on this forum , just adding what I think I know, so if I am wrong then please correct me!

Again welcome to the forum!
Old Sat, April 24th, 2010, 04:43 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachSled View Post
<snip>

Found out that 7 of the 8 plugs broke and needed a extra 2 hrs of labor to dig them out. The plugs and labor cost $527.

My question is, is this normal for a 06 5.4L ? Would different plugs end up with the same problem ?

But in the end, after paying a $1400 service bill the truck runs and shifts better then it ever did when I got it 6 mo. ago with 80,000km on it.
<snip>

Oh yeah, this is my first post. Hi !
Welcome!

There's one thing that's wrong and why this happens and it's design error.
Why'd you have 7 break? When the next guy has none?
They are still trying to figure this one out.
Personally the fix for me would be to find '08 heads.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, April 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Whopper

Default Re: Major Service @ Dealer

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am wondering what you guys think about air intakes? I had decided on the aFe stage 2, but what do you think about the other brands? Looking for some input please. K&N, aFe, Volant, Banks, Airaid?

I have ordered 3 tunes for a intake, 87 tow, 87 perf, and 91 perf. was that the right way to go? I noticed that the CS has Econ., tow, perf, and extreme. Can Bill make all those too or what should I have ordered ?

Thanks,
Landon
Old Sat, April 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

My vote would be the DIY "Gotts style" intake. Gives about the same performance increase as the commercial things and costs less than $10.00. Requires nothing in the way of special tuning.

It is "possible", your dealer tried to "rush" getting the plugs out. The engine has to be cold and the carbon solvent has to have a chance to work down to the tips of the plugs. This involves loosening them just a bit and then waiting a good long while longer for things to dissolve. But, as 88racing said, it's a poor design that's causing all the trouble.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, April 24th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
As far as i know, yes it is semi-normal. Because of a bad design of the top of the engine they are hard to get to, but you have 100,000 km, which is about 60,000 miles if im guessing right, then no that is low miles for plugs to be breaking.
Actually there have been a lot of reports of plugs breaking as low as 35,000 and I have seen some that have broke at 40,000. So its definitely normal.

But as Jack said the biggest thing is not to rush and follow the TSB exactly.
Old Sun, April 25th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Whopper

Default Re: Major Service @ Dealer

Well I bet they rushed it then. I have no idea how the previous owner looked after the truck either. Oh well ! Did some more looking at air intakes today, but now I have no idea what to get. Now I am thinking banks insted of aFe???