Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, December 25th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Whopper

BLFX4K is on a distinguished road
Default Truck shifts like crap on tune...didnt before

So at 30,000 miles I had my 30k service
Truck felt great, shifted awesome, mileage improved and I was happy

At 32,000 miles, after my highway trip to cali and back to Vegas problems began. The truck began shifting really hard and feels like its on the verge of failing, this happened after a program to level 3, was set to the appropriate timing as I was using 91 octane, not 93.

Yesterday, at 34,500 miles I replace the battery. Put in the new one and she cranked right up, on the stock tune, shifted blissfully, smooth and not a jerk or thud into gear.

Retuned the gryphon to level 2 and problems started again. Is there an update I'm missing or corrupt file in my tune that's causing this to where I should flash the programmer again? Have not updated since I got the programmer, back in July of this year.

Shift levels are at 0-0-0

Still shifts hard into gear unless I'm shifting at 1500 or less rpm and only does it on the canned tunes.

Any help would be great
Old Mon, December 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Have you tried the level 1 (tranny adjustments only) tune? Did it give you the same results? I dont think there have been any significant updates since then but I seem to remember a similar issue a long while back.

Also, can I get you to fill out your userCP more fully? Only us mods can see the information and it would be rather helpful.
Old Mon, December 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Have you tried the level 1 (tranny adjustments only) tune? Did it give you the same results? I dont think there have been any significant updates since then but I seem to remember a similar issue a long while back.

Also, can I get you to fill out your userCP more fully? Only us mods can see the information and it would be rather helpful.
Haven't had a chance to try the level 1 tune, ill give it a shot tomorrow when I get back to my truck. Left it when I went out of town and left the keys at my parents. Got back to mine and have my spares so ill check it out when I start up tomorrow.

userCP?
Not sure what that is but maybe this will help:
2008 fx4 screw w/5.4 and 3.73 gears and 34700 miles
35" tires (but keep in mind it only shifts hard on the tune, not stock file)
OBX Longtube headers w/resonators and true dual exhaust
2010 efans
Gryphon on canned tunes
Old Mon, December 27th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLFX4K View Post
Haven't had a chance to try the level 1 tune, ill give it a shot tomorrow when I get back to my truck. Left it when I went out of town and left the keys at my parents. Got back to mine and have my spares so ill check it out when I start up tomorrow.

userCP?
Not sure what that is but maybe this will help:
2008 fx4 screw w/5.4 and 3.73 gears and 34700 miles
35" tires (but keep in mind it only shifts hard on the tune, not stock file)
OBX Longtube headers w/resonators and true dual exhaust
2010 efans
Gryphon on canned tunes
Not sure if it will lead you to your userCP but here is a link (might attempt to send you to mine which wouldn't work).
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/usercp.php
If it doesn't work, scroll up to the top of the page, under the PHP logo, there is a dark blue bar. It says stuff like User CP, Members list, video arcade, search and log out. You'll need to add stuff like the HEX code of your truck and other information.

I notice that you are running on 35" tires, did you adjust the tire size accordingly for those tires? I've seen some trucks get really crappy shifting and stuff because the tire size is way off from what is actually on the vehicle.
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Not sure if it will lead you to your userCP but here is a link (might attempt to send you to mine which wouldn't work).
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/usercp.php
If it doesn't work, scroll up to the top of the page, under the PHP logo, there is a dark blue bar. It says stuff like User CP, Members list, video arcade, search and log out. You'll need to add stuff like the HEX code of your truck and other information.

I notice that you are running on 35" tires, did you adjust the tire size accordingly for those tires? I've seen some trucks get really crappy shifting and stuff because the tire size is way off from what is actually on the vehicle.
Tire size is set for 2709 which is equivalent to the 35s and I believe a 3% squish factor.

I will add the HEX codes and other information come tomorrow. Will get back to you asap. Thanks!
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Chris, follow this link: User Profile to your "UserCP". It's where you post information about yourself that is mostly hidden from anyone but us Mods and the Administrators.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Whopper

Just updated the UserCP

Tuned it to the level 1 tranny only and it still shifts hard into gear, sort of like the edge on levels 10-10-8 did but more of a dropping feeling, not a firm shift. Hard to explain.

Again, the transmission only shifts like this on the tune, not on the stock file

Thanks again fellas
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Just updated the UserCP

Tuned it to the level 1 tranny only and it still shifts hard into gear, sort of like the edge on levels 10-10-8 did but more of a dropping feeling, not a firm shift. Hard to explain.

Again, the transmission only shifts like this on the tune, not on the stock file

Thanks again fellas
Does "dropping" mean it feels like the power is being reduced during the shift? If so, that could be a problem in the torque reduction strategy that is employed during shifts. And, I suspect Bill could change this for you.

- Jack
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Does "dropping" mean it feels like the power is being reduced during the shift? If so, that could be a problem in the torque reduction strategy that is employed during shifts. And, I suspect Bill could change this for you.

- Jack
The dropping is more of like something dropped out the bottom of the truck or it fell into gear.

Its a slow hard slam, does not feel like that at open throttle or on the stock tune
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 06:55 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
The dropping is more of like something dropped out the bottom of the truck or it fell into gear.

Its a slow hard slam, does not feel like that at open throttle or on the stock tune
Sorry, I can't even imagine what you are describing (and don't take that as a "put-down")! I've simply NEVER felt anything like that, EVER, in all my 54 years of driving. (Has it really been that long?)

This is something you really need to discuss with Bill, I think. Make sure he understands the shift is "normal" in the stock tune.

- Jack