Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, July 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Whopper

Savagetwelve is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lars! That was short n sweet....

04 STX- Magnaflow Exhaust, Roush Intake, 2" leveling kit, 33" Nitto Dune Grapplers, HID's, Gryphon (Waiting on 87/93 Tunes)
Old Fri, July 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yea, Lars does have a tendency to reduce it all to "essentials" *boring*.

His value is a good starting point, but I think mine is better!

DO use a GPS if you have one. It will give you an accurate readout of your speed. Get the Gryphon to agree with it by changing your TS as needed. Your dash speedo will then read about 2 mph faster, because Ford set it that way.

I suspect LT tires may have less squish, so the circumference value could be larger. The user manual calculation assumes zero squish. If you enter that value, your TS will be too big.

- Jack
Old Fri, July 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Whopper

p40whk is on a distinguished road

I checked mine with GPS this morning and the Gryphon is much more accurate than the Speedo.

At lunch today I went out to check the custom settings of my TS and GR and they were not set to what they should be. So, I reset them using the custom option. I'm using the 87 canned Tow tune until my performance tunes come in (have a CAI) but I got to thinking (since I don't have the manual handy) Do I need to revert to stock before I make custom changes or change the tune level? I couldn't find this in the Q&A's but thought I read somewhere that you should go back to the stock tune before changing to a Gryphon Tune.

I didn't do that in this case (haven't driven the truck yet) an am wondering if I need to reset it to stock then load the 87 Tow with the custom settings.
Old Fri, July 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

No, you DO NOT have to return to stock before opening the Custom Options menu. But, you're not really going to be able to "check" things in that menu either unless the first thing you did was "Reload Previous Settings". Even then, your TS will probably be slightly different.

Do look again at the Q & A that I wrote for the Gryphon Custom Options menu. I think it will answer all your questions.

(I probably need to add the part about not having to return to stock though - thanks!)

- Jack
Old Fri, July 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Whopper

p40whk is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jack,

I did read the Q&A's and understand that those fields are not populated by the PCM as values to be checked and that they are user entered values. I guess I should have clarified that in my post above and probably worded it differently. When I went into the custom menu for TS and GR there were numbers already in the fields that did not correspond to my setup. I think this is where a lot of people get confused thinking they can "Check" theirs.

Biggest problem with the written word is the interpretation. I've written aircraft maintenance manuals for over 20 years and no matter how hard I try to be clear, someone always reads my instructions differently than I intended.
Old Sat, July 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Whopper

Savagetwelve is on a distinguished road

Ok I was able to try out your sugesstions today with a GPS.
I set the TS to 2500 (+/-10) to see how it compared to GPS.
I noticed on constant acceleration and cruise speed the GR was reading about 1 mph vs. GPS.
When I punched it I nitice that the GR was 5-10mph more that the GPS until I reached a constant speed where the GPS then caught up
Why would this happen? Is the GPS just that slow to pick up the change in speed?

04 STX- Magnaflow Exhaust, Roush Intake, 2" leveling kit, 33" Nitto Dune Grapplers, HID's, Gryphon (Waiting on 87/93 Tunes)
Old Sat, July 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagetwelve View Post
Ok I was able to try out your sugesstions today with a GPS.
I set the TS to 2500 (+/-10) to see how it compared to GPS.
I noticed on constant acceleration and cruise speed the GR was reading about 1 mph vs. GPS.
When I punched it I nitice that the GR was 5-10mph more that the GPS until I reached a constant speed where the GPS then caught up
Why would this happen? Is the GPS just that slow to pick up the change in speed?
I think you just nailed it! The GPS updates it's information at regular intervals, and I imagine it's not the same for different models. Then, the processor inside the GPS has to perform some calculations to display your speed, and that takes time too. I would not expect it to react to abrupt changes instantly.

I think my Garmin hiking GPS updates on one-second intervals, and it's far more precise than my Ford Magellan GPS because the map scale it works with is more exact.

- Jack
Old Sat, July 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
Thanks Jack,

I did read the Q&A's and understand that those fields are not populated by the PCM as values to be checked and that they are user entered values. I guess I should have clarified that in my post above and probably worded it differently. When I went into the custom menu for TS and GR there were numbers already in the fields that did not correspond to my setup. I think this is where a lot of people get confused thinking they can "Check" theirs.

Biggest problem with the written word is the interpretation. I've written aircraft maintenance manuals for over 20 years and no matter how hard I try to be clear, someone always reads my instructions differently than I intended.
Yup! Those are "placeholder" values. And, since you've opened the Custom Options menu, those placeholder values are what will be loaded into your tune unless you change them manually or, "Load Previous Settings" (assuming you've manually entered correct values before).

If you've never used the Custom Options menu, there IS NO "Previous Settings" file to "Load"! A tune by itself does not create one.

I KNOW it's confusing! It took me at least six months to finally put all the pieces together.

I like your avatar! The P-40 was always one of my favorite WWII aircraft.

- Jack